Kevin Hamilton on Sun, 15 May 2011 11:32:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

Nick, I'm glad you brought this up. I'm part of a panel that was approved, and just recently went to check the registration fees. I'm equally surprised and concerned.

I hope you'll share what you learn from your inquiries, and that those on this list who have helped organize ISEA events in the past might be willing to share what goes into such decisions as setting registration costs.

Sticker shock like this unfortunately sends many of us to ask "is it worth it to me?" I'd much rather be asking "what are we producing together?" through such spending, and looking to see what the best use of group resources would be to further critical dialogue and production in a way that is inclusive and just. It may be that some outside information would help us decide together that participation in this event IS the best route, but I cannot say that at present, given all available alternatives.

Plenty of academics have been looking at alternatives to participation in the global tourism/conference economy. Certainly those of us with interests and experience in networks and mediation could lead the way in that.

[alt-ISEA?]

Kevin Hamilton

On May 12, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Nicholas Knouf wrote:

> (Apologies if you have seen this already, but I think it's appropriate
> for nettime as well.)
>
> Hello nettime,
>
> I presume that there are many nettimers who are planning on attending
> ISEA 2011 in Istanbul this year.  If you have not looked at the
> registration fees for the conference, prepare yourself for some sticker
> shock.  The fees seem to be disproportionately expensive for a
 <...>