Joss Winn on Sun, 8 May 2011 14:49:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The emphasis should be on the suppression of tyranny by the rule of law.

On 08/05/11 07:53, martin hardie wrote:

> I read some neocleous recently to get some more lines on the executive,
> police, discretion and state of exception. I've realised he is useful to
> paint the pictue of law's deformulation (ala weber) which then allows
> one to explain to those that remain under the spell of a liberal
> modernist notion of the rule of law to realise that that particular
> scripture is well and truly lost.
> My first reaction when I saw the original post in this thread was to
> jump in and remind ntters that the rule of law in the sense of el estado
> de derecho and big E equality before the law is possibly not something
> to idolise - to cite many, we need to conceptualise a new rule of not LAW

Yes, I found Kay & Mott useful in this regard and, as it happens,
Neocleous was their student. PDF of Kay & Mott's (out of print) book here:

POLITICAL ORDER AND THE LAW OF LABOUR
http://ubuntuone.com/p/YOC/

Joss

<...>