Nick White on Thu, 5 May 2011 04:17:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Facebook censors 50 protest groups in the run up to the royal wedding

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 07:51:46AM +0200, Patrice Riemens wrote:

> As far as I can determine no groups or pages have been deleted, only
> profiles, and all the profiles were not individual people, they were being
> used by organisations. Not only is this stupid (as I?ve previously
> explained here) but it violates the Facebook terms of service. So no leg
> to stand on if one is deleted.

This is true. However, 1st, many (most?) users of facebook
don't have a clear idea of these differences. To them
they're basically irrelevant. And 2nd, Facebook using
technical TOS violations to pull political pages, at a time
when the state feels vulnerable, is still an issue.