Sascha D. Freudenheim on Thu, 3 Feb 2011 20:31:38 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Two recent blog posts: Google-Art & Egypt

Like many of us, I suspect, recent events in the Middle East have
captured my attention.  At the same time, my "normal" focus on
art/technology/culture rumbles along here in frozen New York.

I have two new blog posts up, one on each subject: one on Google's new
"art project," the other on Egypt, Israel, and Palestine. Since the web
posts include links to sources, I have put a link to each post at the
bottom.

Sascha

Googly Eyes For Google?

I have to admit: a little part of me was rather saddened today to see
the launch of the Google Art Project.

The arguments in its favor make perfect sense, in the abstract.  It
offers easy access to a lot of art, globally (or at least, for those
with a good internet connection and a good computer).  In mapping
galleries and providing scanning options of the space, it can help
someone understand a work of art in its museum context â what works are
adjacent, what surrounds it, etc. â as well as get a feeling for a place
they may be planning to visit.  Providing selected works for
high-definition, very detailed viewing offers some joys, too; it can be
hard to see most paintings at this level of magnification while they
hang on the walls of a museum.

And then thereâs the broader trend: museums are digitizing their
collections, developing online companion pieces to 3-D exhibitions,
creating Smartphone apps, developing teaching tools, and more.  All of
which â I can say unambiguously â is the right thing to do, and must be
done.  The museum person and the technologist in me are in agreement on
the need to embrace this challenge.

Still, I felt sad by the digital rigor mortis of this art, and those
clinically captured galleries. For one thing, itâs hard to see even a
small work of art effectively on a computer screen.  (In my office
set-up, I have two; that is, one computer running two, new, 19â flat
panels. Even with that luxurious arrangement, I still donât feel like
itâs adequate, not least because Google compresses the viewing picture
into an inset box.)  Zooming in on specific works of art shows you much
detail, but you lose the three-dimensionality to which the human eye
responds so well in person, as it moves back and forth between different
zoom levels and focal points in nano-seconds.

You might (rightly) ask yourself whether my perspective means much, as
an insider: that the value of this system is for the people who cannot
get to these museums in person.  But if you are a regular museum goer,
itâs hard to see this really taking the place of an in-person visit.
And if youâre not a regular museum goer, either because you donât like
museums or you donât find art particularly stimulating â well, I just
wonder how much allure â or benefit â there is to seeing works of art
you probably are not familiar with as they hang in galleries you havenât
visited.  In fact at some level, this is a very elite take on the idea
of accessibility: you need to be able to appreciate art in order to
appreciate art in this context.

I admire Google for trying this out, just as I appreciate so many of the
companyâs Beta and Lab initiatives; Google has the resources to test out
solutions to problems real and imagined, and I consider myself generally
better off for their experiments.  Certainly the museums that
participated made the right choice: why wouldnât you want to collaborate
with Google on such a project?  If it had been my client, I would surely
have recommended they move ahead.  But this whole thing feels cold to
me, demonstrating once again the challenge of trying to replace (or even
supplement) the in-person experience of an authentic work of art with a
simulation, where so much detail and context is lost.  Untangling the
gordian knot of digital solutions for art museums is not going to be as
simple as one slice through the center with the Google Art Project.

http://www.sascha.com/2011/02/01/googly-eyes-for-google/

****************

A Failure of Leadership & Imagination

âMr. Netanyahu called on the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, to
resume peace negotiations without preconditions. But the prime minister
also said it was possible that the gaps between the two sides were too
wide to be bridged.â The New York Times, February 2, 2011

Between 1933-1945, the German government murdered around 6 million Jews,
as part of an official policy of state-sanctioned genocide. Two years
after the creation of the state of Israel, the two nations were talking.
Twenty years after the end of the war, in 1965, Germany and Israel
established formal diplomatic relations. By 2008, Germany and Israel had
$6 billion in annual bilateral trade, and Germany is Israelâs largest
trading partner after the United States.

There is probably some crude math one could do thereâ6 million dead Jews
to $6 billion in annual tradeâbut letâs skip to the point: over a 78
year period, the situation between Germans and Jews went from
desperately murderous to fairly lucrative.

Between the establishment of the state of Israel in 1948 and now, 2011,
fewer than 100,000 Israelis have been killed, despite several wars,
numerous terrorist attacks, and a long-standing and simmering conflict
with the Palestinians and some Arab nations. While there has been a
peace treaty in place with Egypt since 1979, Israel has not been able to
negotiate a formal peace with its Palestinian neighbors over the last 63
years.

Recently released papers suggest that the failure to make a peace deal
over the last decade rests more with the Israelis than the
Palestiniansâdespite common perceptions to the contraryâbut the question
of who precisely is to blame for this irrelevant right now. What matters
is the mindset embodied by the expression of distance by Israeli Prime
Minister Netanyahu: that we cannot make peace, the gap between our views
is too big.

I am having a tough time with the irony here. That would be the irony of
Israelâs largely happy and mutually beneficial trading relationship with
the nation that once murdered millions of Israelâs progenitor Jewsâwhile
steadfastly insisting that peace is not possible with a neighbor whose
inflicted casualties have been but a fraction of the damage previously done.

In 2011, of course, most of the Germans who participated in World War II
are dead, and most of the Jews who managed to survive the holocaust are
also dead. By contrast, many more of the Israelis and Palestinians
involved in conflicts since 1948 remain alive. But this suggests that
some generational turnover is necessary for peace, and that was clearly
not true with Germany.  Nor can one simply point to German reparations
or an internal sense of guilt and shame, and suggest that these kinds of
feelings are missing on the Palestinian side: post-war Germany had
plenty of ex-Nazis in government, presumably no less anti-Semitic than
they had been before, and it took decades for the view of German history
to catch-up to the reality of the war and the holocaust. There are also
demographic and different kinds of existential threats from the
Palestinians, sure. Yet what is more of an existential threat than
concentration camps, gas chambers, and ovensâthings that the
Palestinians (for all their issues with Jews and Israelis) have never
attempted to construct.

I can understand the fear and trepidation that must result from watching
the revolution in Egypt play out, with uncertain outcomes on a range of
fronts. Still, the perspective captured by that New York Times article
and others is depressing. This is a tumultuous time. But tumultuous
times demand bold and visionary leadership. An Israel that found ways to
support democracy in Egypt might find an Egypt that supports Israel. And
an Israel that took this moment of tumult to re-engage with the
Palestinians, to finally seek a conclusion to this conflict and the
senseless Occupation, might find the long-desired peace it seeks with
the Palestinians as well as with its other Arab neighbors.
http://www.thetruthasiseeit.com/2011/02/02/a-failure-of-leadership-imagination/

--
Sascha D. Freudenheim
Doubt is humanity's best friend.