Paolo Cirio on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:53:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> P2P Gift Credit Cards - Gift Finance. Press Release.

Many thanks for the feedback.

It's not a project about fiat currencies, although issuing money with
new currencies is actually a good way to rescue local economies as
many theorists and cases history demonstrated. There are also many art
projects based on alternative currencies.

The P2P Gift Finance focuses on the creation of credit, which means
money (by any currency, here the pounds are symbolic, i'll eventually
start a branch in the US), and how to use present evil monopolistic
infrastructures (like the credit cards circuits) and financial
instruments (like the Fractional Reserve Banking) in order to give
power to create money back to the people. Banks are allowed to create
money that they don't have just by generating numbers through
software, as they are allowed to erase funds or move them away, just
by their mouses. So i think that people should have the same right.
Moreover the project proposes to abolish the "Interest rates" on any
kind of loans, as islamic banks already do.

I agree on the fact that the cards are indexed in a centralized
database, it's a technical limitation that must be solved, maybe by
the same technique for indexing torrent files.

I hope that it's clear that i'm an artist, so this project should give
a vision, not a final solution. Although it's not so pointless, and
actually it could work well, at the moment, nothing is more absurd
than the present economic situation. I advice to read and watch some
material here:
http://www.p2pgiftcredit.com/infoshop.php

Paolo.