nettime's italian digest on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:19:58 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Wikileaks: Internet politics in Italy [3x]

----- Forwarded message from Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> -----

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Wikileaks: Internet politics in Italy
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:56:36 +0100
To: nettime-l@kein.org

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 01:43:18AM -0500, Keith Sanborn wrote:

> There is great irony in all this since the Internet is the

The Internet is just the biggest internet that is run by people
accountable to authorities by means of having something to lose.
An internet is just a set of commodity off-the-shelf hardware and
fully open (and implemented in many open source systems) protocols
who anyone can utilize. And of course you can run an encrypted,
anonymizing layer on top of today's Internet with nary anyone
noticing, nevermind being the wiser.

Of course, it takes skills. Trying to fly under the radar of
authorities has never worked for stupid people.

> principle medium of surveillance. I think the Chinese response
> to Internet "freedom" is an atavistic response based on old
> totalitarian roots--what Debord used to call the concentrated
> spectacle. The parallel is found in PRC styles of spying: instead
> of institutionalizing carnivore style surveillance, the Chinese
> government uses old school hacking of privileged channels of
> communication. The Chinese behavior towards the Nobel shows a
> parallel belief in the importance of controlling access to "the
> real." The value of the Wikileaks material is in confirming what
> you already suspect about US diplomacy which is why it's so easy to
> suspect it of being spun by spooks. I personally don't think it is,
> but it IS being released by the NT Times which has a long history of
> cooperation with the CIA, as Chomsky and Herman exposed long ago.
> Curiousier and curiousier. The word "redact" in American English
> is a bizarre Latinism betray ing extreme behavior hiding behind a
> preposterously neutral self-descryption. Spelling intentional.

Titrate your professional paranoia to functional levels.