jaromil on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:05:41 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Six Anti-Theses on WikiLeaks

re all,

On Dec 10, 2010 Faculty of the College of Ontopoetic Machines wrote:

> Six Anti-Theses on WikiLeaks

thanks for providing some appropriate insights, the 12 weren't enough

thanks also to Patrick Lichty for his response to Eco, well put indeed

in the high speed flows of the Internet, time is condensed to the
point critics act even earlier than facts and statements are
accomplished... especially media critics, well aware of the economic
dynamics of information consumption, should be careful to when feed
the channels they conquer with imprecisions.  caveat impetus oratorum.

here i just felt to point you to the "Wikirebels documentary",
recently out, produced by Swedish TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPglX8Bl3Dc

and to correct one of your points, for the sake of marking relevant
details:

> 1. Wikileaks exposes the slippery moralism of global capital.
>
> The corporate abdication of non-discrimination prefigures more
> scrutiny of online activity. Visa, Amazon, Mastercard, Tableau,
> PayPal, PostFinance, and EveryDNS: each severed their relationship
> with one or more aspects of the WikiLeaks organization due to
> technicalities.

all the companies you name above cannot be grouped in a unique
thesis. Details change from one's another reasons to block WL.

for what concerns Paypal, see in http://bit.ly/hvCAfc
(confuting your thesis IMHO)

  Speaking at the LeWeb conference in Paris, PayPal VP Osama Bedier
  faced boos from the audience when he was asked why PayPal froze
  WikiLeaks' account. He said the US State Department "wrote a letter
  saying the WikiLeaks activities were deemed illegal in the US".
  However, the US State Department denied it had sent any such letter
  to PayPal. PayPal later clarified that its decision was merely
  "based on the American government's position".

  In a new statement http://bit.ly/eFG47T PayPal general counsel John
  Muller wrote that PayPal had acted on a letter sent to WikiLeaks,
  not PayPal itself.  "Ultimately, our difficult decision was based on
  a belief that the WikiLeaks website was encouraging sources to
  release classified material, which is likely a violation of law by
  the source."

Such aspects represent a major node for hackers and the main
trampoline imaginary to build new (pronounced "GNU") circuits for the
circulation of values, a process that will naturally unfold in Europe,
soon enough.

yes indeed, there is a lot more to come. piano piano :)

ciao

- --

Imagine the Future of Money http://DYNDY.net

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39