carl guderian on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:13:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> How the tea party is rewriting the rule book for political organizing

(Re-posted, rewritten. Thanks, Felix)

True that. But the Tea Party Movement is as old-school as the John
Birch Society and calling it "open source" is like calling a lynching
crowdsourced murder.

Mark Meckler builds e-mail lists for marketers and (mostly
Republican) political candidates. It's arguably a wired business, but
his throwing around buzzwords like "commons" is like the legendary
spammers Canter & Siegel justifying themselves because "information
wants to be free."  But it will help right-libertarian geeks feel
better about supporting the birthers, born-again virgins and
Creationists the TPM offers up for national office with depressing
regularity.

I doubt Meckler's reach for hip cred will spread to other Tea party
groups and certainly not further up the Tea party chain of command--
and there is one. You think guys dressed in Colonial garb paid for
all those TV attacks ads? This new model party is as authoritarian as
the GOP with which it shows the most affinity, despite protests to
the contrary. (And when the money men, such as the billionaire Koch
brothers, hear the word "commons," they reach for their roll of barb
wire.) What looks like rank and file initiative is just eagerness to
follow marching orders that align closely with their own inclinations
and abilities, at least at ground level. The awesome power of the
internet is superfluous, and other Tea Party groups are as effective
in the project of political vandalism without the benefit of "open
source" organization.

Carl