Garrett Lynch on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:34:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Two works (one new) in Second Life @ I AM Columbia Island

I’m currently showing performance documentation of Between Saying and
Doing within the context of the exhibition Liminality: The Space
Between Worlds at Antena (http://www.antenapilsen.com/current.html) in
Chicago (RL) and in Second Life at I AM Columbia Island (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/I%20AM%20Columbia/136/189/22
). The show runs until Saturday the 1st of May so if you can try to
pop along to one location or the other.

The 'location' of the work in Second Life was yesterday (12/04/10)
also the site of the second performance, On Exactitude of Similitude,
in a series of Second Life performances dealing with ideas of the
artist, identity and being and is now premiered and documented only
within the Second Life part of the exhibition.

What follows is an extract of the statement from the new performance:

By positioning my Second Life avatar Garrett Lynch, a representation
of my real life (RL) identity Garrett Lynch, in front of my own art
work Between Saying and Doing (http://www.asquare.org/works/between-saying-and-doing
) in Second Life, itself a representation of my identity within a
representation of a space, this performance continues to purposefully
play on ideas of layering and framing between what is 'real' and what
is 'virtual'.

In addition to wearing the placard worn during the first performance,
my avatar wears a head device with a video stream of my RL face in
real time, as if attempting to become me.  Visually similar to the
type of helmet worn by a deep sea diver or an astronaut my avatar
attempts to submerge in the unknown.  Simultaneously we see both
'me's' through the helmets surface and on it's surface.  Is my avatar
simply wearing a mask of me or is this a natural reflection?  Does my
avatar see me as I see my avatar?

This mixed representation of me is however not me, it is still
unquestionably an avatar and not even forcibly a better/closer
representation of me, just a different, reconfigured and perhaps more
complex layered assemblage of that representation.  A copy of an
original, a simulation of the 'real' or a map of the territory, no
matter how faithful remains a copy and discussion of the level of
similitude is inconsequential.  Yet how and with what measure do we
and can we without a suggestion of doubt precisely determine and know
which is the copy and which the original?

a+
gar