Michael H Goldhaber on Tue, 8 Dec 2009 03:09:14 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Handoko Suwono: Facebook paves its way to IPO

Heiko, et al.

I have only read the American version of Facebook's terms of service,
but my interpretation of it does not accord with what you say below.
In fact it is rather explicit that each user retains copyright, etc.,
except that it allows Facebook the right to use it for their own
service, which is to put your words up on your "friends' " Face3book
sites.

This is far more ownership left to users than in the case of many
companies who allow on-line comments, but take ownership in them,, or
allow submission of letters to the editor, or contest entries,  etc.,
but take exclusive ownership in them, leaving the originator with no
rights at all.

Further, users or consumers of many kinds of products  and services
perform actions that help the companies increase their sales. Whether
you are wearing a warm sweater, a smart necktie, using an attractive
or smoothly writing fountain pen, talking on a smart phone, offering
your friends a  beer of a certain brand, you are helping boost
sales.of that sort of item, and maybe of that brand. I could multiply
such eamples ad nauseum.

My position is not that Facebook is a a particularly idealistic
company, but that I don't see why it is being singled out by the left,
when it does nothing terribly unusual. Christian Fuchs, who teaches at
the Universtiy of Salzburg, has even gone so far as to claim that
since Facebook may extract "surplus value" from our "unpaid labor" it
is therefore "infintely exploitative" in Marxian terms. He has
compared it to Nazi slave labor, even. This is just nonsense, at best,
and nothing more. The vast majority of Facebook users presumably feel
they are getting something in return for whatever they are giving up,
even when told that Facebook my try to sell their info. In addition
some I know of have used Facebook for progressive political organizing
that they could hardly have achieved without it. Why single this co.
out for such excessive critiques? I am afraid the fact speaks to a
kind of poverty of thought on the left.

(note: I will reply in a separate message ot some other comments)

Best,
Michael

On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Telephone companies would not own the content.
>
> You may be able to delete things, not really shure, whether this is
> possible today, but you own nothing.
>
> They can delete you without notice.
 <...>