Geert Lovink on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:27:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> update on the schiphole fire

dear all, on thursday the libyan ahmed isa on trail for setting fire
in the amsterdam airport detention centre (oct. 2005) has been
deported back to tripoli. more on the background you can find here, in
an english piece of dutch liberal newspaper NRC: http://tinyurl.com/mnkyq3
. the trail (and the protests) happened early august. the verdict was
early september: he was found guilty and sentenced but because he had
been in jail already long enough, finally deported. nine people at
schiphol airport were arrested during protests. his legal court case
to get compensation still runs. the fourth yearly commemoration will
happen late october. there was a theatre event last tuesday and a
tribunal in de balie is planned for early november. there is still
lots going on. here an old letter from 2006 of the M2M campaigner Jo
van der Spek to the president of libya that explains the context. /geert

In Holland they burn Migrants
Open letter from a world citizen of Dutch descent to Muammar Abu
Minyar al-Gaddafi, President of Libya and to the Heads of State of the
other countries that saw their citizens off to the Netherlands:
Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Palestine, Egypt, Sudan,
Tunisia, Algeria, Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Senegal, Angola, Sierra
Leone, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Romania, Bulgaria,
Turkey, Suriname, the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Morocco.

Dear Mr. President, ÙØÙØ ØÙÙØØÙÙ

I feel compelled to inform you about what is happening in the
Netherlands, where your citizens are victims of serious human rights
violations. I am directing this letter first of all to you, Mr.
Gadafi, since three of your subjects are playing key roles in the
drama that is still unfolding. First there is Lutfi Al-Swaiai, who is
one of the eleven migrants who died in the fire that raged in the
detention centre at Schiphol Airport more than a year ago on the 26th
of October 2005. The second Libyan person survived but was treated in
a sub-human way after the fire and is still being denied his residence
permit. The third is Ahmed Isa who stands accused of intentionally
starting the fire in his cell. He has been in custody for more than a
year, even though two separate judges ordered his immediate release in
2006. In this letter I hope to convince you that these three men are
innocent victims of Dutch migration policies, specifically the policy
of detaining undocumented migrants in order to expel them. And I will
argue that Ahmed Isa must be considered a hostage of the Dutch
government.

Your country hosted an African Summit on migration on the 23rd of
November, 2006. I am keenly interested in the proceedings of this
conference, given that Africans currently migrate more than any other
peoples in the world. Europeans are well aware that large numbers of
Africans are trying to reach Europe in pursuit of happiness and a
better life. Many Europeans are disturbed at the sight of Africans
dying in their efforts to reach the âpromised landâ in ramshackle
fishing boats. Even more Europeans are afraid that this flow of poor
migrants is too much of a challenge for their societies, because
labour markets and welfare states may not be able to absorb all these
aliens. This is why governments are under popular pressure to take
drastic measures to keep out or expel migrants.

However, Europeans know less about the price Africans pay in terms of
suffering and money extorted by corrupt officials and traffickers
alike. Most migrants try to come to Europe to make a living, not only
for themselves but also for the families and communities they leave
behind. Communities often invest a lot of resources in the voyages of
their sons and daughters. The truth is that successful migrants,
through their remittances send more money to Africa than all of the
Westâs development aid. That is a reason why many African governments
have no serious problem with waving their freedom loving subjects
goodbye. But in this process African nations are losing many of their
best educated, most enterprising and creative children. These are
young people who could contribute to the prosperity of Africa itself,
if only they had better opportunities to create a better life at home.
We have to acknowledge that this policy is short sighted. Why would so
many young people give up being with their loved ones and leave for a
hostile Europe, that time and again proves to be just another lawless
jungle rather than paradise?

On the 26th of October 2006, a coalition of activists in solidarity
with the survivors of the Schiphol Fire commemorated the disaster that
had killed eleven and seriously wounded some 40 others and deeply
traumatised many of the approximately 298 detainees (nobody knows
exactly how many there were that night!). We staged a commemorative
ceremony in a church in the heart of Amsterdam and afterwards in front
of the fences of the detention centre itself. And the survivors spoke
out. Babak from Afghanistan spoke about his anger: âI would rather
die than be humiliated any longer. I refuse to beg any longer.â Babak
was referring to the fact that the survivors were forced by their
guards, even at gunpoint, to let their fellow cell mates die behind
doors that would not open; to the fact that they had to stand or lie
for hours in the cold night, waiting for medical care; to the fact
that they were transported to equally dangerous prisons elsewhere
where some were placed into solitary confinement, bereft of their
personal belongings; to the fact that they were denied their human
right to receive proper treatment of their injuries and traumas, the
right to choose where to live, and the right to be treated as a human
beings. Even the 39 direct survivors, who had been in blocks K and J
that were destroyed by the fire, were granted residence permits almost
a year later in order to (finally!) obtain proper treatment, are still
living on 40 Euro a week. Most of them are still in reception centres
for asylum seekers, without the right to work or study, or otherwise
regain their dignity. Seven others were not granted a residence permit
because they were suspected of minor criminal offences. All the other
231 survivors of the fire in the other blocks have disappeared
altogether. Most have been expelled on a âvoluntaryâ basis.
Existence denied. Look away, please.

Let me tell you, Mr. President, about Cheilkh Papa Sakho, a painter
from Senegal. He came to Europe to sell his work and exchange ideas
and inspiration with fellow artists. Papa Sakho came barefoot to the
church because the shoes that he had bought for the occasion were too
tight. In the church he was hardly able to speak, but he cried his
heart out to the mother of Robert Arah, one of the boys from Suriname
who died in the fire. All Sakho could say was that he was sorry,
because he had changed his cell with Robert a couple of hours before
the fire. And then Robert died in his place.

Papa Sakho, who is now the informal leader of the group of survivors
residing in an outpost called Musselkanaal, is a wonderful person and
respected by anybody who gets a chance to meet him. He is not afraid
to show his sorrow and able to share his spirit with children and
adults alike. âI am respected, because I respect myselfâ, he said
to me. And then we laughed about his shoes. I cannot think of a better
show of civil courage than walking barefoot to the service of truth
and justice and bowing in compassion with the mother of a dead brother.

Papa Sakho, Babak and other survivors have thus rendered an incredible
service to Dutch society. They have shown us who they really are, the
people we lock up for not being properly documented. None of them were
accused of any crime or violation, not even of trespassing. Being
declared âillegalâ does not constitute a criminal offence under
Dutch law. Yet they are being treated worse than criminals. They
usually suffer the same restrictions as suspects of common crimes, or
even worse when they are being housed in temporary facilities like
boats, hangars or containers (the Dutch prefer cheap solutions). These
detained migrants have fewer possibilities to appeal to the courts,
because the immigration service (IND) uses administrative law, which
provides only very marginal safeguards on the decisions of this ill
famed agency. In Holland about 22.000 non-western foreigners are
detained every year, some are expelled within weeks, many waste away
for many months.

The power of the survivors fighting for freedom, justice and dignity
shows us something else as well: they are not poor and helpless asylum
seekers. They are real humans who are made helpless by a system that
denies their rights as equal human beings in pursuit of happiness,
endeavouring to bridge the gap between rich and poor in their own
special way, just like anybody else.

We can no longer look away. The Schiphol Fire is to become a turning
point in Dutch migration politics, a wake-up call for all who refuse
to look away. For all those who are willing to face the truth and are
not afraid to look with these migrants, not just watch them on TV. And
then, if we want to live up to our proclaimed standards of human and
civil rights we must change this system: put a stop to detaining
undocumented African, Asian, Arab or Latin migrants. And let us
finally start to think hard about the reasons and causes of migration
and ask ourselves why a banana, a credit card and a grave stone can
travel more freely than the average world citizen. Our leaders cannot
convince me that free trade and open markets are good for mankind, as
long as people have to die in their attempts to take part in this free
trade and enter these markets. Migrants drowned and burnt deliver the
message that there is no excuse to deny anybody the right to live and
move. As long as our governments let people drown and burn, they burn
their own credibility and lose the right to judge others.

Ahmed Isa smoked a last cigarette in his cell before he fell asleep.
He did not properly extinguish it and the paper sheets caught fire,
probably helped by the stream of fresh air that came in from the air-
conditioner. The fire woke him up, his feet were burning. He tried to
stop the fire and yelled to alarm the guards. They were not there. All
systems failed as was proven by the independent Security Board in a
report that forced two ministers to resign, toppled the government and
brought about early elections. So last November the Dutch could vote
for a new parliament, but no party is prepared to really change the
system. Left and right endorse locking up innocent migrants, in order
to keep the nation clean and comfortable. Only a minority of Dutch
society feels ashamed and powerless against these odds. Protest comes
from those who really know the man or woman that is to be thrown out
of the country or thrown into detention, including children, sick and
old.

Ahmed Isa is to be judged some day for causing the Schiphol Fire. I
wonder how he could be convicted for criminal or suicidal intent, when
it happened in his sleep. I know who built these prisons, who
neglected all safety regulations and who are responsible for putting
people there. On the 8th of October, 2006 the High Court of Amsterdam
ordered his immediate release from custody and also ordered him to
await his trial in the Netherlands. But Minister Rita Verdonk of
Migration and Intimidation prevented his release and moved him to the
Expulsion Centre at Rotterdam Airport for being an âillegal alienâ.
On November 22nd, voting day, another judge again ordered his
immediate release. But the Minister refused to comply and appealed to
the administrative State Court and still kept him locked away. This
government is just not able to face the demise of their miserable
migration policies. The Dutch are not to be confronted with the face
of Ahmed Isa. When I visited him, he said that his only wish is to
prove his innocence before a Dutch court. He told me he is drawing
portraits of the dead in his head and only talking with himself.

Now, at the end of 2006, Ahmed Isa is free at last, on condition that
he reports every day to the local police station. The criminal
investigation to construct the case against him is about to lead to
his trial in May 2007. His case is just one of many thousands, a clear
case of blaming the victim. But we know that the real culprit is the
system that has been dubbed âmigration managementâ, which is in
practice more like a re-invention of the slave trade than anything
that can be called civilization.

Therefore we feel obliged to call on you, Mr. President, and on the
international community, to look into this matter and to relieve us of
this burden of shame.

Jo van der Spek, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, December 2006

--
note:

Mr. President, you may wonder why I wrote all this to you. You are not
on the record as a champion of human rights. Asylum seekers from your
country, and especially those who were forced to return, can testify
to that. Still you have been welcomed by the international community
after disposing of your program of weapons of mass destruction and of
your reputation as a sponsor of terrorism. The European Union has
placed its bets on you to play a crucial role in preventing African
migrants to access Europe. Your country has been singled out, together
with Malta, Ukraine and Bulgaria to serve as a buffer. Transit camps,
electronic border controls and close cooperation on migration
management are high on the agenda. Iâm sure the EU appreciates you a
lot for this. I fear however, that policies like the current one in
the Netherlands, when exported to countries like yours, may result in
more casualties in terms of human lives and violation of human rights
and moral values. What happened at Schiphol Airport can be compared to
Guantanamo Bay or even Abu Ghraib. If the price of your cooperation
with the EU is a general erosion of rights and values, I would rather
you called the deal off altogether!