Nate Hitchcock on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:48:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Pirates of the Internets unite/Re: the dawning of internet censorship in germany

Hello Room,

Miltos' proposition of a philosophical investigation of Digital Nature
is our best bet. If natural rights are based on our physical selves
then digital rights should based on our digital selves.

Also, I don't think that a bedroom pirate is not a pirate. I think
that this sort of thing is important not only in numbers (because it's
what everyone is doing now and it will help people get behind the
cause) . The part I disagree with is that we don't need to build our
own iTunes or anything like that. I have never paid for software in my
life and have never paid for music in my adult life. I pay for movies
only if I am watching them in the theater (which is about once per
year) and I download all of tv programs from rapidshare (from an
account that I don't pay for). I personally don't care much for most
mainstream media and I think that mainstream media will become less
mainstream as people realize that copyright laws are absurd. As a
person who uses a computer constantly I can say: If the product is
good I will use it. And I will use it for free. If you make a better
media player than iTunes {which I don't use anyhow) then I will use
it. I don't pay for anything. If no one pays for anything where will
the copyright holders getting their money from? There is of course a
lot of marketing that could be employed to keep their budgets high,
which is not the problem really, but viewers or users will not pay for
it. I feel that this is the attitude of the people who we are dealing
with in this generation.

:-)

Best, Nate