conservas@moviments.net on Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:40:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Defending P2P and digital rights

In light of the seriousness of the attacks on digital rights that are
currently being pacted, to a greater or lesser degree, by the governments
of the European community, and given that a summit of Ministers for
Industry is set to take place on February 17, we believe it is extremely
important for all of the agents involved in the front line fight for the
defence of digital freedoms to reach a consensus on a series of common
points.

At the bottom you will find the link to a document that we've been working
on recently (a more detailed version in Spanish can be found at
http://molinapirateblogspot.com). We hope that it will  be a first step
towards creating a European platform that can coordinate all the work and
effort going into this struggle.

It may be difficult at first, but we think that if we all start circulating
the material, we could eventually reach a consensus on consistent,
recurring claims that we can use to "harrass" industry and government
propaganda and reach out to and involve civil society.

The original document, adapted to the specific situation in Spain,  was
used to launch a twitter campaign on January 19, demanding the resignation
of the Spanish Minister of Culture, Cesar Molina, for his attacks on P2P
networks and his attempts to introduce the warning system in force in
France.

This campaign (which we invite you to participate in ;-) is being extremely
successful. Hundreds of slogans have already been written, and will be used
to create a viral video to be launched on father's day - because parents
are the pirates ;-) .

http://twitter.com/molinapirate

We encourage everybody to adapt the document, to change it and correct it,
and especially to spread it.

we welcome your feedback and hope to be in contact and coordinate our
efforts.

Simona,* eXgae group
http://exgae.net
*
[p.d.: In Sweden the big trial against the Pirate Bay begins the 16th.
We will have news on www.piratbyran.org/trial]

THE DOCUMENT:
http://conservas.tk/archivos/defending_digital.pdf