Michael H Goldhaber on Thu, 4 Dec 2008 05:59:06 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Saskia Sassen: Cities and new wars: after Mumbai

Though I have long been an admirer of Saskia Sassen, I don't find this
particular piece to be very well thought out. Cities by their very
nature contain large numbers of people in close proximity and always
have. This makes and has always made them both possible centers of
insurrection and difficult to control or conquer from without. An
enemy entering a city either must come close to destroying it and its
population or is likely to face endless surprise, sabotage and
reprisal from within. That is why, historically, enemies often
besieged cities for years (Granada, Leningrad) in attempts to starve
them into submission or destroyed them instead of occupying them (as
did the Crusaders and Tamerlane) or  in advance of occupation as the
Soviets did Berlin near the end of World War II and the US did Tokyo..
Cities have also been frequent sites of insurrection, from the Boston
Tea party to the Paris Commune, to the Poznan riots, to Budapest in
'56, etc. , etc. .

One thing newish about Iraq, which Sassen cites as an example of new
forms is that with current levels of public awareness is  it is no
longer possible to get away with inflicting the human suffering of a
siege or near total destruction of a great city. Also the US invaders
paid no attention to the well-known difficulties of conquest, instead
expecting to be met with flowers. In the first Gulf war, Bush p?re
knew or was advised that Baghdad could not be subdued without giant
and presumably unacceptable numbers of casualties. Bush fils would
have none of that and plunged in.

Cities today not only have crowds that assure that large numbers can
be killed even by a few terrorists but have media to make sure the
terrorist attack gets noticed far more widely than would a similar
kind of attack in some more isolated locale. The Mumbai attack was
very well suited to drawing such attention, partly because Mumbai is a
media center, partly because of the Internet, including Twitter, and
partly because of the dramatic unfolding of events rather than being
one sudden blast. I am not convinced it has much in common with slum
dwellers temporarily taking over sections of Rio.

Best,
Michael