Brett Shand on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:51:03 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Obama and the dawn of the Fourth Republic

Michael H Goldhaber wrote:

> I find it curious that this  interpretation is repeated so much in
> comments on nettime. Over and over, Obama stressed just the opposite,
> and, surely, many take him at his word. So why state the contrary with
> such conviction? Is this a left bias that needs no  explanation, or is it
> some sort of represssed wish?

I couldn't agree more!

I too, have been taken aback, to say the least, by the rage, fury,
hopelessness, helplessness and downright malice that have been expressed on
this list over the last week or so.

No-one as far as I am aware thinks Obama more or less than completely
human, and no doubt filled with the errors and conceits to which all humans
are heir. Yes there is some over the top euphoria but that will settle down
soon enough, sooner than it should probably.

But the apparently irresistible urge of some to strangle all hope with its
own umbilical cord seems ... ummm ... unhelpful.

In peace

Brett