nettime's_charterhouse on Sat, 8 Nov 2008 16:58:59 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> the green and the black digest [seymour/byfield x2, hart]

Re: <nettime> scattered thoughts on Obama's green empire and black

     Benedict Seymour <ben@kein.org>
     t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com>
     Benedict Seymour <ben@kein.org>
     t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com>
     "Keith Hart" <keith@thememorybank.co.uk>

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 03:27:31 +0000
From: Benedict Seymour <ben@kein.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> scattered thoughts on Obama's green empire and black

Actually, I take that email back, i don't think the celebrations of
Obama's win simply, uncontradictorily, represent a nationalist,
implictly racist euphoria - this is too simplisitc, there may be
something in the energy and enthusiasm displayed here that goes beyond
nation, elections, party political branding coups etc. But this email,
with its claims about Obama's administration and some New Deal (a
totally different affair from the potential some might see in the
jubilation of as yet undisappointed voters and non-voters) was so
annoying that i was swept away on a wave of anger. It's a form of
optimism - ie - it says: perhaps now we wont have to put up with anymore
demoradical bullshit, no more Bushes and no more anti-Bushes. A crazy
dream, but one worth dancing in the street for).
Sorry - we all get carried away at times like these, it seems.
Ben

Alex Foti wrote:

> Obama's victory brings a wave of optimism and after all these years of
> darkness and obscurantism it is refreshing. His administration should
> also chart a fairly liberal, ecokeynesian course in socioeconomic
> policy. The gross inequalities created by three decades of free-market
> theology are likely to be reversed.
 <...>