brian on Thu, 6 Nov 2008 03:16:43 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> First thoughts on the American election

These are great comments, useful, basic, from the place where it is
happening.

Dan's perspective on the marginal but real role of the Left (as opposed
to the Democratic Center) are what merit attention everywhere that such
a divide exists. What do we do in the face of majorities or at least,
power blocs, which do not satisfy us, and in the face of our own
marginalized "identities," which at times appear so inconsequential but
are utlimately what we have got? And not the worst end of the deal either?

I think it is time for the far Left to argue propositionally, without
forgetting where we come from and what we believe and aspire to. The
fallback to whatever base and sphere of activity one has is always a
possibility, always a necessity. But this is a moment to push the
mainstream. Every theme we have ever rallied around, fought over or
against, is now on the table, not only in the USA but everywhere. War,
racism, social programs, climate change, financialization, to name only
the most huge: all these issues are now up for grabs. It would be a pity
if the exponentially great grandchildren of Marx and Bakunin did not
have something real to say right now.

best, Brian

Dan S. Wang wrote:

> Anyone else?  --dsw
>

> Already there?s been quite a bit of writing, remarking, and blogging on the
> Obama victory as a sort of national catharsis. But like the fluid identity
> of Obama himself, the emotional healing enters the picture from any number
> of angles. Here?s mine.
 <...>