Morlock Elloi on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:35:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> the usage of network

It's marketoid-speak, naming things after wishful thinking, after the promised
result, to make them more sellable. In case of businesses purporting to enable
people to connect, it makes marketing sense to call their customers
collectively with the name that suggests that they already *have* connected, as
to entice more audience and newcomers, who hope that they will "connect",
become a part ("20,334,344 alreaady connected"), and eventually get laid.

The actual network part of social networking part probably consists of a very
sparce matrix of two or few member sets.