Amy Alexander on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:05:30 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Another text about surveillance and software subjectivity

Howdy,

After my recent comment about software subjectivity in the thread
"Between Tracking and Formulating," a few people mailed me off-list
with similar interests - and some of the ideas from a previous text
I'd written came up in discussion. So I thought I'd forward a link to
that text to the list as well:

"About SVEN......and about Software, Surveillance, Scariness and
Subjectivity" http://deprogramming.us/sven/svensubj07.pdf

The original version of the paper was written in 2006 for the
conference proceedings of Digital Arts Week in Zürich, where I did a
street performance of SVEN (Surveillance Video Entertainment Network.)
In 2007, the text was expanded for publication in Transdisciplinary
Digital Art: Sound, Vision and the New Screen, edited by Randy Adams,
Steve Gibson and Stefan Muller Arisona, published by Springer in 2008.
The link above points to the expanded version.

While the focus of the text is different than that of Jordan
Crandall's text and the subsequent discussion, there are some points
of intersection. The paper starts by giving background on the SVEN
project, but if you want to skip straight to the part about software
and surveillance, you could start reading on the fourth page (labeled
470 at the top.)

Happy trails,
-Amy