chad scov1lle on Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:05:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> [Augmentology] _A Warcry for Birthing Synthetic Worlds_

Hi Azdel,

One of the more poignant issues which came to mind when reviewing yourtext, is
that openess and non-regulation is probably the most criticalfacet to consider
when engaging and making decisions concerning thearchitecture of any emerging
technology or discourse.

One of the reasons why the www scaled so considerably well, is that itis
incredibly trivial at the outset (< 1995 ) for a interested childto orient
themselves with html and craft a page. I'm sure nettime isthoroughly populated
with individuals who were able in the nineties toearn a few crackers making a
web page for someone.

Simple scripting languages make feasible power laws when it comes tocontent
creation. More sophisticated enviornments are allowed todevelop along a
evolutionary map assuming that the primitive andinitial conditions suffice for
more complex ideas, tools, andimplementations. HTML, with it's intuitive
design, gave birth to muchmore engaged ideas about media and how it should
operate. Flash, XML,OWL, etc are all the resultant products which further
enhance andrichly textualize the experience of web activity.

Prosumer applications which allow for both the production andconsumption of
things have become successful not only becuase theyequate the seemingly
fundamental narcissitic tendencies of homo sapienswith utilization of the
application, but also because it is highlytrivial to do so. The degregulation
of the content conceives the viralbehavior. We've all been on the recieving end
of the youtube url copyand forward from friends and family.

Decentralization, as you eloquently elucidate in your text, is highlyimportant
as well. However, my thinking is at the outset of thetechnical emergence curve,
we're probably have to going to deal withcentralities and aggregators (Linden,
etc).

We absolutely need to be facilitating decentralization. When we make itsuch
that any user in any country on any platform can script not onlytheir own
social network portal, blog, or www page, but their ownvirtual world which
seemingly integrates with other worlds, then wehave arrived at something which
I think you would be very happy with.

Furthermore, I also think that the distance between Real Life andVirtual Life
is still quite a significant gap. When your avatar is avirtual mirror of your
real body, and it's movement and temporality invirtual space reflects what you
do in real space, then we are reallyonto something interesting. The cybernetic
engineering issues areprobably limiting that at the moment, however, given that
google hasalreadt attained a decent map of the r world, and we have accurate
GPS,then we can probably make some significant strides in that arena.

OpenSim and RealXtend are certainly the natural steps in thedevelopment of
these concepts. But I don't think we're hitting thesingularity yet.

Regrds,

Chad