Dmytri Kleiner on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:40:17 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Use = Sue (Art in the Age of Intellectual Property)

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:02:01 +0200, Inke Arns <inke.arns@snafu.de> wrote:

> Dear Nettimers,
>
> last weekend the exhibition "Anna Kournikova
> Deleted By Memeright Trusted System - Art in the
> Age of Intellectual Property" opened its doors at
> the PHOENIX Halle in Dortmund, Germany.

Brings back memories. Here is an announcement I sent out in 1997.

NOTE: This was 1997, do not try and get tickets, you already missed the
show.

----

ANNOUNCING PLUNDERPALOOZA
A FESTIVAL OF CULTURAL APPROPRIATION AND FAIR USE
TORONTO, SEPTEMBER 24, 25, 26

. A Culture Jam .

It all starts with a special screening of Craig Baldwin's "Sonic Outlaws"
at the Bloor Cinema, Wednesday, September 24 at 9:00 p.m. The film,
featuring Negativland, John Oswald, The Barbie Liberation Front and others
is about culture jammers, people who send out mixed signals to the media in
order to cause a disturbance in a system that often goes without check.
Mark Hosler, founder of Negativland, has been creating records, video,
radio and performances using appropriated sound, image and text since 1980
and will be attending the screening in person to answer questions.

The next stop is Inter/Access at 401 Richmond Street West for the Plunder
Debate! Thursday, September 25 at 7:00 p.m. Join in for a lively and
informative discussion with panelists John Oswald (plunderphonics), Mark
Hosler (Negativland), Kathleen Maitland Carter (Curator/ VJ), Oliver
Girling (Artist and Critic) and David Basskin (Canadian Music Reproduction
Rights Agency).

Plunderpalooza hits the stage at Lee's Palace on Friday, September 26, 1997
at 7:30 p.m. with a packed evening of multimedia performance featuring
Negativland's Mark Hosler and Toronto's own plunder pioneer John Oswald and
a rare appearance by veteran culture jammers Sucking Chest Wound.

Negativland's just released album, Dispepsi on Seeland Records, is already
#1 on America's College Radio Charts. Having coined the term culture
jamming, the band gained international notoriety in 1991 after they were
forced to destroy copies of their single "U2" as a result of legal action
by Island Records. John Oswald, creator of ground-breaking works such as
"Plunderphonics" is among the originators of the genre with works dating
back to the mid-1970s. Oswald's latest album, "Plexure" features sound
snippets from over 1,000 artists. And expect the unexpected from enigmatic
local artists Sucking Chest Wound. Since 1980, SCW have transformed
themselves from a free form jazz combo, to an electronic industrial barrage
to a post-modern disco band. Record company executives still run and hide
at the mention of their name.

Rounding out the festival are Sook-Yin Lee and The Rust Brothers, Victor
Warlord and Michael Philip Wojewoda, Monty Cantsin and the One-Armed
Bandit. Additional atmospherics will be provided by DJ Saint Blameless, DJ
OXO and live video mixer, The Void. Among the other artists contributing
video and installation are Princess Superstar, Myfanwy Ashmore and John
Marriott.

Tickets for Plunderpalooza at Lee's Palace on Friday, September 26 will be
$12 in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets are available at Pages Books,
Rotate This, and Primal Scream or by calling the number below.

--
Dmytri Kleiner
editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net