Michael H Goldhaber on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:42:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover

Brian,

I read your whole piece with interest, but I disagree with its two of
its stated or inherent premises.

First, art does not have to justify itself by offering a different way
to live or to coexist. To put it most simply art justifies life; it is
why we are here, or it can be.

Second, while a visit to South Korea or any other host to our hundreds
of bases can show what empire is like and what it does to its targets,
to find the sources of the outlook that backs these bases, we  have to
look at American political life. A simple economic justification in
terms of empire would be hard to demonstrate: China and India, which
never had American bases, are far more important to us economically
than countries that do have them. Likewise, Vietnam, which succeeded
in throwing out our bases seems to be on a trajectory not terribly
different from S. Korea or China. Nor is "cultural imperialism"
strongly correlated with where the bases are. "Pirated" videos and
music spread our culture far more effectively than does military
occupation. Indian and Chinese immigrants with degrees in medicine,
science or engineering increasingly fill occupational niches that
Americans  do not enter in enough strength, for whatever reason.

So what does cause continued imperialism? For one thing, America's
inward looking. Our politics is mostly localist and parochial, and yet
politicians end up making decisions to sustain foreign involvements on
the basis of little knowledge. It is always safer to view the outside
world as menacing rather than benign. It is always safer to refer to
the US as the greatest country and to assume that the world needs our
armies and weapons rather than not.A pointless patriotism helps hold
this disparate country together, much as India is partially held
together by such means. And, as in the case of the British empire,
what keeps ours going is mostly habit ? a bad habit, but hard to
change ? perhaps addiction would be the better word.

If the US is so inward looking, doesn't reporting such as yours from
South Korea help create balance? Very little, I suspect. The internal
"patriotic" reading would only be that some Koreans are "ingrates,"
who "don't know what's good for them," which implies they need our
protection despite themselves. While "ingratitude" might be taken as a
reason to leave, in practice it only seems to reinvigorate the myth of
the necessity of staying, much as the American causalities so far in
Iraq become, for the right at least, a reason not to leave. The
possible difference there, as it was in Vietnam, and even in the
Korean war, is really the threat of future casualties, but if these
can be diminished, so will the pressure to pull out.

This imperialism can only be changed, I think, if it either becomes
unaffordable or if a really different US self-conception can take
hold, for instance of our being simply one country that ought to be
striving to live cooperatively with the rest of the world. I think we
should take heart that the Iraq war has proved so unpopular despite no
draft and despite the US death toll being far below Vietnam levels. I
think a new "Iraq syndrome" will sharply reduce the tendencies towards
such active military adventures for another generation. But
dismantling the existing network of bases is another story. To give up
the addiction to military spending and the idea that the military
offers a good career for certain young people will be less rather than
more easy if the US monetary economy keeps declining. The only hope I
see is the rise of an utterly new sense of who we are. That , of
course, will be intensely resisted.

Best,
Michael