michael gurstein on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:08:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> ICT and Aboriginal Peoples

Ben in his scholastic drive to create his own myths seems to have
missed the point of Jesse's original message (and my reason for
sending it along in the context of the earlier discussion...that
is, that community based ICTs seem to offer a way for contemporary
indigenous peoples to create for themselves sustainable futures. If
they need to draw on a (semi?)mythical past as a partial basis on
which to build (design) that future, it would seem a more likely
(and socially desirable) basis than an equally mythical historical
hobbesianism.

In my books "research" should build and support "vision" not the other
way round.

MG

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Centre for Community Informatics Research, Training and Development
Ste. 2101-989 Nelson St.
Vancouver BC CANADA v6z 2s1
http://www.communityinformatics.net
tel./fax +1-604-602-0624