lotu5 on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:59:43 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The Circus of (Im)Migration video documentation

Watch the 40 minute video documentation of the circus here:

The Circus of (Im)Migration

High quality version, 1.05GB
http://sdhacklab.org/circus-of-immigration-big.mov

Low quality web version, 240MB
http://sdhacklab.org/The-Circus-of-ImMigration-web.mov

The Circus of (Im)Migration took place in the spring of 2007. The
traveling circus was an uncircus performed by the Boredom Patrol of the
Clanestine Insurgent Rebel Clown Army and volunteers and workshop
participants in every city. The performance consisted of 3 acts: act one
about the circus, act two about our personal stories about borders and
act three about the immigration raids taking place around the US. Over
750 people were deported through raids on homes on workplaces in April
alone. In between the acts, the following youtube videos were shown:

Clowns vs. Minutemen Pt.2 Operation More Secure than Depends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rONLxzAA4

REAL Alien Invasion of "Our Minutemen" at a Home Depot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ59rvPGe_4

The third act took the form of the Theater of the Oppressed forum
theater, where audience members were invited to join the performance and
change the outcome of the scene.

Our attempt was to create an interactive, communal, openly participatory
space for dialog about immigration, migration control, borders and
freedom of movement. We see this practice in the tradition of using
humor against fascism, as a way to open up dialog within a climate of
fear and repression, with the hope that this dialog and laughter can be
healing. Further, we are using the inbetween space of the clown, with
our faces hidden and revealed by greasepaint, inbetween genders,
ethnicities, roles, in order to challenge the rigid conceptions of
identity, nationality and citizenship that underlie the rhetoric around
immigration.

--

blog: http://technotrannyslut.com
gpg:  0x5B77079C // encrypted email preferred