Garrett Lynch on Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:05:42 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Goodbye Classic ?

On 7 Nov 2007, at 11:00, nettime-l-request@kein.org wrote:

> Goodbye Classic?

the worst example I've had of this happening is John Maeda's Reactive
Square which came on floppy disc and proved very tricky to move off
of it onto my desktop so that I could run it.  luckily its java based
so once that was done no issues running it.  I had an Artitact CD-ROM
(and later got the DVD of all of them) which was supurb but they only
runs through classic or an emulator now - real shame!

What is more worrying is that now Director (the app used to make a
LOT of these works) is no longer supported by Adobe and no sign of
them turning .dcr / .dxr formats open source what will happen to all
the great early shockwave work as well?

> Any one out there know anything on this?

as Florian said, there are emulators and they do work well, so it is
a solution to view these types of work.

a+
gar
Garrett@asquare.org