David garcia on Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:47:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Goodbye Classic ?

Goodbye Classic?

I have a set of works from students of the Masters in interaction
design at Utrecht School of the arts, produced for CDROM dating back
around ten years. Some of them are quite stunning examples of use of
the media of that time.. The CD ROM Doors of Perception Festival was
an outstanding example some of you might know. But there are others.
It is fascinating to see how the best of these works seem actually
better with age. Though in the era of the big now! we seldom have
time look back and reflect on earlier artifacts. There must be very
many similar examples known to people on this list. For example what
about the extraordinary Rehearsal of Memory by Mongrel (Mostly Graham
Harwood's work I think?. . If I want to show these works these days on
(say a Macbook Pro running tiger) I don't think there is any other way
than to install the "classic" to make them run.

I do not know if this has been much discussed but the much praised new
Leopard OS no longer supports Classic. Hence no works made for Mac CD
ROM earlier than say seven (or so) years ago will not be accessable on
the new platform.

Is this is another example of what Stuart Brand has called the
"digital black hole" or am I missing some "work around" in Leopard. I
hope I am missing something.

If I am not correct then I will gladly eat a hearty helping of humble
pie and consider it a very nourishing snack.

Any one out there know anything on this?

David Garcia