geert lovink on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:58:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> search engines on the move

Dear nettimers,

I am not sure how many of you are following the search engine 'market'.
It is for sure that it is finally uncool to use Google, for a long list
of reasons, so people are starting to look for alternatives, which, as
we know in the case of Microsoft, is easier said than done... Next
weekend there is a critical search engine event at the Jan van Eijck
Academy in Maastricht, maybe the debates there will focus on
alternatives. Through personal contacts I somehow found out about
Powerset (I am not a professional search engine watcher...). Powerset,
still in demo mode, is based on semantics and claims to be able to
'understand' the question you ask their search engine. Is anyone else
also interested in this topic?

Regards, Geert

http:// www.janvaneyck.nl (the event doesn't seem to have its own URL
or website)

--

Dear Powerlabbers,

This is an exciting time for Powerset Labs!  We announced at
TechCrunch40 that we've begun the process of releasing Powerset Labs to
the public.  About 100 close friends and family of Powerset have been
using Labs for about a week now and Powerset will be inviting
additional users into Labs based on the order you signed up.  We've
been overwhelmed with the demand to try out our technology, so we're
letting people into the community slowly to make sure that everyone
gets a great experience and that the community builds organically.  In
fact, we've already begun to implement ideas from our first 100 users,
which will help to improve the site when you get your invite! We'll get
you your invite as soon as we can.

In addition to announcing the grand opening of Powerset Labs, we've
also shown off the first two technology demos that we're releasing:
Powermouse and Use Cases.  Though these demos are not full blown search
applications, they are windows into our natural language technology.
Unlike other search engines that index keywords, Powerset does a deep
linguistic analysis on every sentence it reads.  We extract and index
facts about each sentence in each page, making our index the first
truly robust semantic index of the web. You can read more about these
applications in our blog post
(http://blog.powerset.com/2007/9/17/powerset-launches-powerset-labs-at-
techcrunch40).

Normally we'd send out an announcement like this to our Powerset Labs
list first, but we couldn't do so this time because of a press embargo
with TechCrunch40.

Oh, and you might have noticed that we're now calling it "Powerset
Labs."  We decided on this change because a lot of people (including
people at Powerset) were confusing Powerset with Powerlabs.  Go ahead
and think of "Powerlabs" as a shortened version of "Powerset Labs."

We look forward to getting you your invite code for Powerset Labs soon
so keep your eye on your inbox!

Cheers!

Mark Johnson
Powerset Labs Product Manager