nettime's_war_weary on Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:15:33 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> long war, long art, long digest [robinson x2, peraica]

Re: [YASMIN-msg] War profiteers in art (Biennale di Venezia, 2007)
     "Zev Robinson" <zr@zrdesign.co.uk>
     Ana Peraica <ana.peraica@st.htnet.hr>

From: "Zev Robinson" <zr@zrdesign.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [YASMIN-msg] War profiteers in art (Biennale di Venezia, 2007)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:34:11 +0200

It's not that I necessarily disagree with a lot of what you say, Ana, but I
do think it's a more complex issue. The media may in some senses promote
passivism, but also encourages, in some, activism. The effect of the media
in ending the war in Vietnam has been long commented on, and I think it has
had a role to play in changing public opinion and increasing awareness of
certain situations. How people react to it is another question.

Certain war photographers are activists, do what they do for strong
convictions. Again, see the War Photographer documentary on James Natchwey,
or read Magnum, Fifty Years in the Front line of History.

you went to Venice, as did I - that time and money could have been spent
helping war or poverty victims in a variety of ways. did you also go to
protest at the g8 conference?

Also, as individuals we are a mix of being passive and active, and virtually
all of us in the developed world are overconsumers, and use our oil and
other resources, and so we are all sponsors of crimes. None of us are
innocent.

Best,

Zev

Zev Robinson