Brian Holmes on Sat, 20 Jan 2007 06:23:47 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Iraq: Ways Backward Digest

Michael Goldhaber wrote:

>I agree with most of what Brian wrote, except for his urging us to
>read  a two-year-supply of books.

Michael, you will have noticed that I always take a keen interest in
your writing, so please don't take the following as any sign of
disrespect or animosity.

It is true that few people want to sit around reading for 2 years, and I
would agree with you that this might be entirely useless if it were to
mean doing only that, and not at the same time engaging with the world.

However, what I myself realized, just over 2 years ago as the calendar
would have it - in that ignominious year of 2004 - is that the world
lives under an Empire, that said Empire is American (and not some
volatilized network as many hoped it was becoming), and that this
Imperial condition remained bizarrely unknown in the very place from
where it emanates, which also happens to be the place I was born.

It seems to me that everyone who works with politics of any sort, and
especially those born in the USA, now has some kind of responsibility to
understand the structure of power in the emerging global society. To
achieve even the rudiments of an understanding requires a certain
familiarity with history both domestic and global, because today's
situations always spring from yesterday's. Yet getting there is
difficult. It takes work, it takes reading and analysis, and it also
takes public debate, where the point is not to be right but to learn
something. If not, who will know?

The case of Saudi Arabia which you mention is a case in point. What is
going on there? To a large degree, neither you nor I know. However, I
can assure you that our current ruling oligarchy has many ideas about
it. And not just because Bush receives his Arabian peers for Johnny
Walkers at the ranch (as, of course, he used to receive the Bin Ladens).
The reason why is that the entire Arabian peninsula, having acquired a
great deal of capital subsequent to 1973, is now deeply integrated to
the US economic circuit. Its ultramodern cities bloomed from the sand,
the way Europe and Japan's cities were reborn from the ashes of war,
because of this integration. However, in the case of Saudi, there were
not generations upon generations of engineers lying around just waiting
for a job. Instead, American and European companies built those cities,
in exchange for the currency that national populations of the
oil-guzzling regions surrendered to the ruling classes of the Arabian
peninsula (this being, of course, a little less than one might think,
since the same populations surrendered more currency to their local
predatory oil-refining corporations - but let's get back to that some
other day).

What I am saying is that Western capital under American hegemony
literally built the present-day ruling class of the Arabian peninsula.
However, the US is as far from controlling the Saudi Arabian leadership
as the latter are from controlling their own people. If I understand
correctly, this is because of the tremendous gap in terms of income and
power between the royalist Saudi elites and the masses of the
population. To this must be added the desire for autonomy expressed by
certain fractions of the elite, who apparently are not all in total
thrall to Western capital. Religion, of course, is the currency of
dissent under these latitudes. Which means that the Saudi royals, while
dependent on the US, must play a double game, pragmatically toeing the
line of the Western consensus while rhetorically espousing some kind
Islamic purity, for fear, if not, of losing control of their own people
(Pakistan being the other key nation which is in a very similar
position). Given that radical Wahhabism originates in Saudi (or more
precisely, lies at the very origin of the country), given that the
Saudis sheltered radical members of Muslim Brotherhood in the early days
after repression began in Egypt and now broadly identify with Egyptian
Salafism, and given of course that Bin Laden himself is a Saudi, there
is clearly a lot of deep anti-American sentiment in Saudi Arabia. For
this reason, after 9/11 the pressure on the US to withdraw the bases
that they installed in the Holy Land of the Muslim faith was tremendous:
it was considered doubtful whether the Saudi regime could survive if the
bases remained. And the survival of the Saudi regime is now essential to
US global strategy.

But then again, there was a new place nearby to put military bases, in
addition to Qatar (and of course, in addition to all the bases installed
around Afghanistan in the lead-up to the invasion of that country). And
this new place was Iraq, where the US confidently expected to be staying
for quite a while, where indeed it expected to finally build up a really
secure American presence in the coveted Middle East. Yet given what has
become of that expectation, this does not appear to mean the "Middle
Eastern" problem is solved, or that the "Saudi problem" is solved, in
any way whatsoever.

Now, it would be great if at this point, some expert on US-Saudi
relations would step in and provide a lot more insight. Please, anyone
who has some knowledge, contribute. But whether they do or don't, I can
assure you that over the next few years I will learn more about this
region, travel there, study its history, its internal ideological
conflicts and its current patterns of integration to the world economy.
The reason why is that this is a key issue, not only for the world, but
for what happens within the United States itself. We cannot continue to
reduce politics to vague calculations about what will or will not fly in
the dreamt-of media soundbite that is supposed to be the nec plus ultra
of national discourse. We have reached a state where the American Left,
not to mention the Democratic electorate, is functionally illiterate
about the very issues around which the management of the immense power
of the country revolves. This leaves the elites entirely in charge, with
no oversight. When you suggest that what has happened in the world over
the last six years is merely a spectacle for the manipulation of the
American voter, I am afraid you are simply wrong. The US is the world
player par excellence. It alone realizes what Habermas idealizes as the
need for a Weltinnenpolitik - a world domestic policy. But the people
living there don't know it. They too are exploited, manipulated, walked
on, like dogs or scorned children in the courtyard, and Habermas's dream
is actually a nightmare. Given our current powerlessness to do anything
about it, there is only one word for this situation: it is a shame.
Really a shame. It may take reading a lot of books, talking with a lot
of people, engaging in a lot of debates, traveling to a lot of
countries, but if we cannot collectively learn enough to be able to
imagine a different course than the one the oligarchy still wants us to
stay, we will go down in history as a nation of idiots who abandoned
their democracy to the tyranny of ignorance. I find that idea hard to
put up with.

But we need you, Michael! You are the nettimer who invented the
Attention Economy! Don't give up now! Keep paying attention!

all the best, Brian

PS: And thanks to Joseph Nechvatal for the Behan article. I certainly
agree with its conclusions.