Ronda Hauben on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:40:31 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> rondagram [x2: UN, citizen journalism]

                  [digested @ nettime]

Ronda Hauben <ronda@umcc.ais.org>
     Changing of the Guard at the UN
     Citizen Journalism ferment in Berlin

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:40:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Ronda Hauben <ronda@umcc.ais.org>
Subject: Changing of the Guard at the UN

An important change is happening at the UN:

Ban Ki-moon Inaugurated

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?article_clas...

While only a few brief references to specific events during Annan's tenure
in office were mentioned during the speeches at the inauguration of the UN's
new Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, the ceremony led me to recall two important
developments which were not included.

One was the World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) held in Geneva in
December 2003 and in Tunis in November 2005.

The WSIS event was unusual for the United Nations as it reflected the
pressure of the people of the world to benefit from the technical and
communication advance that the Internet makes possible. Heads of state
from a number of nations were present. and the summit was asked for a
commitment that people around the world not merely be treated as victims
or as customers, but rather be empowered to speak for themselves and have
their voices enter the global conversation.

The second event which stands out was the U.S. invasion of Iraq. The U.S.
and Great Britain had come to the U.N. asking for a resolution supporting
their planned invasion. The U.N. did not support their attack on the
sovereign nation of Iraq, but neither did it condemn the invasion. The
power of the U.S. government in the Security Council was a force that
limited the U.N.'s ability to condemn the aggression against Iraq.

While none of the speeches about Kofi Annan's term in office spoke to
these events, the General Assembly ceremony presents the occasion to think
back over the past 10 years of developments at the U.N. and to project
ahead to what the future may bring.

ronda<at>panix.com
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/