Paul D. Miller on Fri, 1 Dec 2006 04:54:48 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Bruce Sterling Column in Wired ends

So I'm at the Hotel Tropico in downtown Luanda, Angola for the Luanda
Triennial, about to take a flight to Paris, and I look down at the
hotel lobby coffee table and see Wired Magazine's current issue.

Wired Magazine in Africa!

Wired is one of the few magazines I still bother to read, and I
always looked forward to seeing what Bruce Sterling and Lawrence
Lessig were up to. They were some of the few voices that seemed to
have a more omnivorous appetite for global culture and digital media,
than your average theory type, or pompous critic.

I'm one of the few black people Wired Magazine ever did a feature on
(there are about 4 of us! and yes, we all know one another),  and
after inviting Bruce Sterling to join the Afro-Futurism list serv
that I helped start way back in the ancient late 90's, I realized
that Bruce is one of the few digital media people who "gets it." I.e.
doesn't have really dumb ideas about people of color that seem to
burden so much of the discourse around contemporary art and politics.

So it was with sadness that I read his column saying that he's
wrapping things up at Wired.

Bruce - yo! keep up the good work, and best wishes for 2007. We need
voices like yours more than ever!

in peace,
Paul aka Dj Spooky