Michael H Goldhaber on Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:25:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Beyond Oil, Lybia and the MIT

24 years ago, I testified before a  US Congressional subcommittee
consisting of Al Gore in favor of the US providing computers to the
the third world. This was even before he "invented" the internet,
though that was obviously coming. I still think it was a good idea.
Why should only rich countries have such access?

My firm belief is that, while many of these computers might be
wasted, a significant subset will help third world people both define
and solve problems in their own way, through contact with each other.

but what is the story of Bauhaus chairs you allude to, Heiko?

Best,
Michael

On Oct 11, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/11/world/africa/11laptop.html?
> hp&ex=1160625600&en=bc6ae2d6dab0ee0c&ei=5094&partner=homepage
>
> As a little reading help, how fast will it go the way of Bauhaus
> chairs?
>
> H.
>
> Voila:
>
> October 11, 2006
> U.S. Group Reaches Deal to Provide Laptops to All Libyan
> Schoolchildren
> By JOHN MARKOFF
 <...>