Kali Tal on Sun, 8 Oct 2006 19:04:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Gender and You

Alan and I simply disagree on identity politics. I don't think that
"male baggage" can be left behind ; I think that social/cultural/
gender location is crucially important in any analysis; I think it's
impossible to do good analysis at all if race/gender/class isn't part
of the critique.

I do find the Nikuko pieces Orientalist. I think Alan waves aside the
crucial issue of who wields the power in creating and enforcing
representation in a given culture; from my perspective it's absurd to
argue that members of groups with different sets of privilege are
still somehow "equal" on the field of representation. The male
student who poses as a woman may learn a lesson about "what it's like
for women", but he's doing this in an environment where real women
are already largely displaced by men playing women. He will of course
bring his own stereotypes to the role play, and whether he intends it
or not he's more likely to reinscribe sexist stereotypes than to
violate them.

Straw woman arguments: I'm an essentialist (I'm a constructivist);
I'm enforcing PC (I have no power to do that--I believe that "PC-as-
an-oppressive-force" is an invention of people who benefit from
unearned privilege and get annoyed when challenged); I haven't read
his work (I have; I just don't see the same things he sees in it); I
accuse him of cruising (I don't--I accuse him of reinforcing sexist
stereotypes); I claim to speak for all women (I don't; I speak AS a
woman, which is a completely different thing); I say I know what he's
feeling or doing (I don't--I only say I know what he's writing); that
I don't understand his work is fiction (I do--but nothing says
fictional representation can't be oppressive); I accuse him of
violence (I didn't--I just don't like the way he writes women);  I do
him violence (he disagrees with the comparisons I've made across race
and gender lines).

Alan has posted a tremendous amount of text over the last decades, a
good deal of which I have appreciated, as I said previously. I think
it perfectly reasonable to critique one aspect of that text--the
sexism, which seems to me clearly visible, whether intentional or
not. I am well aware that not all women will agree with my critique
but then, I'm not an essentialist and so I don't feel that women need
to speak in a unanimous voice. I just call it like I see it.

Kali