Michael H Goldhaber on Thu, 7 Sep 2006 04:35:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Disordered thinking through the origin of language (I'm in quotation)

Alan's account seems plausible, but still leaves question of where
spoken language came from. My earlier  thought has been that singing
was the essential step. Different songs for different activities
would then lead, implicitly and directly to verbs. My back is turned
but I hear the eating song or the chipping song, or the running song
and I know what that other is doing. Nouns arise as  verbs that go
with persons or things.

Then why songs? they help keep group together, provide solidarity,
help group members find each other and cooperate.

Best,
Michael

On Sep 4, 2006, at 3:43 PM, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> (apologies for two posts in a row, but this has 'gone' somewhere of
> interest - Alan)
>
> Disordered thinking through the origin of language (I'm in
> quotation) -
>
> ... "I know this sounds ridiculous - but I'm on to something. If
 <...>