brian carroll on Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:59:31 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: nettimespace entangled - part 321

hi John, thanks for sharing your perspective. it is not uncommon
(criticism) and appreciated as such.

your post (and its seconding) could have been responded to in a
nanosecond though a pause was
necessary for me to remember that sharing ideas should be fun and not
simply a laborious task and dealt with in terms of tedium, and overly
seriously, etc. in any case it was good to reflect on these issues
once again.

I will offer another view of this same situation you critique, not to
negate the validity of your viewpoint (too long, nonsensical) and
instead to engage your criticism in the context of sharing complex
ideas which are viewed from various perspectives. in particular, your
observations as they are related to your role as an observer, and how
this may play a part in what you are observing and attribute to me.

> 1) While your writings make frequently interesting points, they are
> too verbose.  Extended length is acceptable if the author writes on
> exceedingly complex topics or for audiences with backgrounds
> outside of the subject matter under discussion.

what I write is often equivalent to 'heresy' on many levels, and to
back up these ideas, oftentimes novel arguments have to be built-up
which can take a lot of words to do. for instance, previously I have
written (for years) about the materiality of the supposedly
'immaterial' Internet as it is grounded in infrastructure, which is
totally against the trend. and requires a lot of work to address
ongoing views which are the default consensus. as it happens, sharing
ideas in an ideological saturated environment requires both
addressing the ideology and its dynamics and placing these in
relation to the new ideas and comparing their models, etc. it is not
so simple as just sharing one's model, it also involves active
engagement of known beliefs which must also be addressed, which makes
up the basis for anyone to challenge statements made, contrary to the
overriding view. the burden of proof is on the writer to make a case,
and if that case is not being made, it should be pointed out where in
the text that there is a break in the logic or reasoning that refutes
the argument. (note: this is not what is happening with my work in
the critique, which is not about the ideas and instead about their
formal presentation.)

  if everyone agreed to the same view, or there was a high-level of
shared understanding about ideas, then i could write the same thing
in 1 paragraph, yet that would be easy to refute. so, these writings
function more as logical arguments and in that, equations which
enable the thoughts to exist in an environment of peer-review which
any ideas could be discredited by peer review- as to the ideas
themselves- which is not happening. it is not necessarily because
people are not reading the works, it is because there are solid
arguments (most times) which can stand up to substantive criticism,
and all it would take is someone to perform that role to make this
more publicly self-evident than it now is. i.e. it would take others
to place their ideas on the line, to risk their own modeling and
challenge views so to gain a better (shared) understanding. that this
is not happening cannot necessarily be pegged to the length of text,
nor that it is non-sensical because if it were non-sensical or hazy
then someone should be able to point out where, how, and why it is
so, and thus disprove or refute the argument. note: without any
examples as to such claims, it is impossible to review that the text
'does not make any sense' etc. if you provide examples, that is where
the fun begins, and would open up the ideas to many views and that is
the entire point of sharing these ideas, at least for me. so to
improve the ideas themselves.

now if the ideas can be said in a better format, with improvements-
that I totally can accept and agree with, yet this is not the point
of the text itself, the ideas. the ideas themselves are what is
important and while they may be imperfect, they can be improved by
others and are free to do so. if you or anyone can boil the text down
to one page and retain the same meaning, while attributing ideas to
their sources, then that is fine. though I would argue that because
of the nature of these ideas, in this context, that, with the writer
that exists (me) this is the best they can do in presenting these
ideas and that role of the writer is both of creative limits and
liberty to do one's best in sharing ideas as best they can. I do not
need to be policed on my writing style, for while it may be valid as
a critique about the form, it does nothing to refute the ideas
themselves and stands only as a complaint about the form. it may be
hard to read so much text- though it is not unfamiliar if reading
philosophy, and it is almost funny if considering sharing grounded
ideas that hold to a common shared viewpoint to be seen as so
difficult to engage as public language, when much of today's works
exist in privatized languages of 'discourse' which basically means
accepting a private lexicon in which to consider public ideas, and
to  adopt this to think, as rules of engagement. and that this is
doing willingly, while a text that does not require this sacrifice,
uses rather typical language, is seen as so difficult. maybe it has
something to do with the complexity of thinking that is not hidden
behind language, even, or uses language as a mask for supposedly
inherent meaning that is free-floating. i don't know. i do know
similar things function in repeating words that are necessary, if
trying to make something as clear as possible, yet it may be
inelegant in doing so, yet pragmatic and necessary if not only
sharing ideas, and instead one very big idea that is made over
decades of posts, say.

the critique about words is particularly interesting, or 'complex
topics' because something like 'empiricism' basically is not
understood by the average person, it seems. because if it was the
existing difficulties would be able to be resolved in rather short
order. nor with logic. nor perspective, relativism, cybernetics, etc.
all of these things have to be explained to some degree in order to
get to other ideas reliant upon them. and if an individual writing
this novel perspective, it is different than hundreds of people who
repeat the same argument and that is how the ideas are distributed
and made into a normal or default view, such as with 'Empire' versus
that of a more complex Empiricism. this, in debate, splits between
'faith and belief' and anti-reason, essentially, and fact and truth
and logic and reason, in the latter case. if this were already
understood or accepted or the checks and balances on ideas (their
accounting) was respected/enforced, in terms of integrity, then it
would be unnecessarily to get into this at length in one post,
because people would check their own ideas, and not rely on
refutation of the larger ideologies they help to build, often
unwittingly, as a group viewpoint.

so, if one challenges this and gets into the complexity, it is the
clear argument which becomes the problem, potentially, for the given
systems of interpretation and value in terms of ideas functioning as
ideologies. the burden of proof becomes somehow twisted, in that the
truth of the ideas is secondary to their acceptability in formal
terms, or something or other which would explain how the argument is
lost to the formal qualities, which is essentially anti-ideational -
the burden of proof is on the writer to make the text suitable for
the reader to read, and judged based on this suitability to access
the ideas.

this could be considered an issue of perspective, bias, and
distortion - not of the writer and instead of the reader of the
ideas, in that their interfacing with the ideas may reveal certain
judgments about what is expected of ideas in formal terms, in order
to engage the issues they seek to address. if the formal or technical
aspects of the writer do not meet these standards of a given reader,
this is fine. the text can and should be deleted without reading it.
doing so is legitimate and probably necessary. yet to say that the
ideas themselves are no good or do not make sense based on this - is
not an issue or perspective that can be reviewed by others without
examples of where this failure of reasoning is occurring in the ideas
themselves. i.e. where are examples by which to judge these failures
of the text to live up to the reader's standards, in terms of ideas,
beyond issues of formal writing skill/quality?

that burden of proof is on the reader to supply examples of failures
of logic and reasoning which are inaccurate in making the case of the
ideas. ideas which are very complex and involved, and involve several
major concepts which have to be developed enough to stand on their
own in an argument. if this connection to the ideas is not engaged in
the critique, it is hard to take this as criticism of ideas and not
simply technical criticism. the latter is okay, the former is
unwarranted and unfair, to the ideas.

the number of words it is directly proportional to the context in
which the ideas are being shared. if people do not share a base view,
that base view needs to be created if building up/proposing a shared
view. this complexity cannot be ignored/escaped. it may be raw,
overwhelming even. and others could refine the arguments/ideas, that
is not my role, which is to share the basic ideas. basic ideas may be
bigger or smaller. these are bigger ideas. reality, for instance,
shared consciousness of people on the planet earth, public language
versus inherited privatized viewpoints. any of these could be a book-
length consideration. and over time, refined into paragraphs of
accepted knowledge. though, if newly considered, they may not be
refined in this sense, they may simply be being shared, and open for
discussion, for refutation, for modification, for exchange,
imperfect, ugly even, yet to say that there is nothing there may have
more to do with the reader who observes the ideas from this technical
perspective, firstly, and cannot access the ideas beyond the confines
of this view alone. that is not my fault nor my responsibility, nor
is it required reading. you are free to delete, yet if you are going
to say the ideas are at fault for your not being able to read them,
it may be the formal aspects (writing style) that creates more noise
than signal for your needs and while unfortunate, it would help if
you share where and when and why this is happening in a particular
example or the general argument so as to engage the ideas, beyond
issues of style. can you please provide examples?

> 2) The torrent of words you produce overwhelm any meritorious ideas
> or suggestions potentially found in them.  When such writing is
> reasonably focused, readers would still parse out the useful gems
> and enthusiastically respond to them.  Unfortunately, reading
> through posts like "nettimespace unentangled" makes one feel like a
> hapless Cretan thrown into the Labyrinth.  The difference being
> that the Cretan had something worthwhile to show for his efforts at
> escaping the maze.

again, you are making claims here that seek to discredit the ideas
themselves over issues of style, and you make your claims as if they
are universally true, without providing any examples to review so to
test this viewpoint in some tangible way, beyond the realm of belief.
'the idea' is the useful gem, potentially, if understood. that idea
could be one sentence or several posts long, and contain within it a
thousand ideas related in multidimensional ways. and this aspect of
ideas and thinking can be cross-checked, in its reasoning, which is
self-healing in terms of argument, in that the redundancy of words
and concepts is not only defective, it is modular, and extend past
these posts, alone, to ideas.

a single post is not the boundary of a shared idea, necessarily, and
thus the labyrinth may not just be a single clearly written concept
in a formal argument that is refined by large amounts of people-- my
point is that the existing belief that people (academics) have as
being 'the labyrinth' is the wrong map and exists as a privatized
theoretical labyrinth inside-the-larger public empirical labyrinth,
and my words are mapping out this latter place. and while those who
believe their 'escaping the maze' is still possible by following the
given 'received ideas' or ongoing ideologies and their extension, it
should be clear by now this is a faith-based adventure game, which is
itself creating the impossible to escape maze-- such as trying to
mediate current events via Empire, which actually plays into the
events and their creation and substance itself, as a business model,
for instance, and having no critical view of this situation would
make any efforts said to resolving this crisis, into necessitating
its continuance.

yes, this is certainly about labyrinths, and understanding where one
is. who one is with. where one is going. or if no-one exists in this
larger, more complex, more serious, more demanding factual reality.

your judgement that my contribution is not worthwhile to these
efforts is without fair consideration, just because you may not
understand it does not mean it does not exist in these terms from
other views. and if you say the work fails, you should provide
examples, the burden of proof is on you here. (is the 'nettimespace
unentangled' worthless in terms of nettime as a labyrinth, for
instance, with the issues described? private langauge, shared
reality, theorism vs. empiricism, etc? what do you suggest is a
superior or improved approach to engaging the issues of ideology
which block the work of ideas? etc)

> 3) In one of your recent posts you mentioned that no one replies to
> your postings.  This is probably because, like me, many nettimers
> believe that if they are going to respond to a post they should
> respond in a meaningful way.  Unfortunately, large blocks of hazy
> text do not lend themselves to any sort of back and forth.

well, i accept the lack of refined writing skill yet the ideas I
stand by and they are not inadequate to the tasks they set out to
engage. if they were, there are thousands of people online who could
gladly be of assistance in making this well known, and to start
making things interesting in terms of engaging ideas and challenging
views, propositions, etc. that this is not happening does not mean
people are not reading the posts. nor, that their lack of response is
due to the writing style, primarily. it may have something to do with
the ideas themselves, which are fairly fit and have survived online
for some time.    the basic situation is that basic assumptions are
not being shared about what the terms of engagement are for ideas.
and that is the problem that exists now where there is a free-for-all
with ideas and metaphysics which is akin to religious beliefs and a
theology of ideas, when compared to their universal grounding in a
shared empirical view which can be checked by other observers as to
what is claimed versus what can be modeled and verified exist,
lacking a better explanation of events.

calling this 'hazy' is like calling the philosophy of reality
grounded in shared understanding 'hazy', in that it may be - yet it
is a hell of a lot more clear, in an unbiased and undistorted view,
than multitudes of postmodern language games and metaphysician
theorists each inventing their own private worlds, and assuming this
is somehow more clear, as it is better written, more clear, elegant
even. etc. it is simply not rigorous in terms of ideas themselves. i
just don't understand this as a way of evaluation of ideas. beyond
that of a reader who has difficulty reading and is blaming the text
as being unclear, in terms of formalism of writing rather than with
respect to the fact that this writing is based in thinking about
ideas, which generate the text. the perspective the ideas are shared
from can change, yet this would take another writer. for instance,
Pit Schulz's text was wonderfully written and much shorter and dealt
with some similar issues, yet compressed many arguments so that their
basis was assumed to be understood. if one is dealing with arguments
themselves, it necessitates opening up the radio, so to say, as was
said. and it is messy. as is this. this may just be the nature of the
beast, of ideas. (for instance, if you think this is abstract, what
would you think of Sartre's Being and Nothingness? etc.)

> In short, I believe that if you show the nettime mailing list that
> you care about those who have to read what you wrote by economizing
> on words and sharpening the message, they will respond in kind by
> caring about what you have to say.
>
> Regards,
> John S.

i am thankful you responded and it is meaningful. and i relate to the
issues, about reading/writing. and here I am going to share an
alternative view of what may actually be going on, based on personal
experience.  i used to be able to read very easily when I was active
in beginning to build ideas and seeking out knowledge, though the
more my ideas solidified around a structural way of consideration (in
this case, electricity/electromagnetism) the harder it became to read
just any text, because it would  be an issue of whether or not it
could be related to my ongoing work. something too far 'off course'
was increasingly hard to engage, to the point where reading works was
largely of necessity and work-based (research) rather than some open
activity. so my reading became focused. then, in addition, if reading
something that was either very rich or very involved, it would make
me think (write) alot when accessing the ideas (reading) so that I
would begin to think too much when reading and would not be able to
read the text before my eyes, because my brain would be onto other
thoughts and ideas that were beyond the text. i.e. the text got me
thinking about other ideas, and so instead of being able to read
somebody else's ideas, my brain was writing my ideas into my brain
circuits, and it may provide a reason to continue with further
research not related to a given text, and instead to output my own
thinking, etc.  i could not place the blame on the authors of these
texts for my inability to read their works, though i still could not
read their books  -- it had to do with where I was with the ideas in
the books and how I was interpreting them in relation to what I
needed to do with my ideas, and thinking, which may or may not be
related to what was in these books. this does not refute the value or
validity of what was in the books, it was just that I could not put
myself into them enough to finish the works. which is a certain
freedom, after a while, becoming unchained from the book as a format
and all that is entailed in devoting so much time to a text. should
the author not write these books because I may not find value in
their approach? of course not. i can choose not to read them or
simply may not be abel to invest in this exchange and get the value
in put into it, back out. yet maybe it has something to do with me,
which I recognize, and while it can be unfortunate, it can also make
things quite clear as to what ideas are of focus, value, priority, in
my particular realm of research, etc. in the same way, it may be
possible that these ideas do not fit with the ideas you have of
particular interest, and that in attempting to read (which I very
much appreciate) that it does not translate to what you need when you
are reading or that there is some short-circuiting between the text
and how you interpret it. and, if this short-circuiting could be
shared, it may be that the ideas are faulty in a specific example,
else it is hard to know what is going on, in that maybe the short-
circuiting has something to do with the reader who is thinking about
some other aspect of these/other ideas, when reading, which brings up
other thoughts- or other views of these same thoughts. which, to me,
is the nature of reading/writing, in that both of this goes on in the
personal interaction with ideas, and that the 'reasoning' is also
with the self in reading the text, such as - what do i think about
these same issues, etc. if going over several large concepts/ideas,
they may never have been questioned in a certain proximity and this
may override a sense that this is clear thinking, because it may not
be clear in a person's internal dialogue-- it may never even have
been considered before, in these or other terms.  thus, it is
possible that there may be a relationship between a reader and their
view of these same ideas shared, which, it is proposed, may have
something to do with the critique and the issues of inaccessibility
in terms of clear argument. it is a clear argument, it is just not
clear in your specific terms and thus you can provide this more clear
argument or may not want to consider the argument (invest in it and
the ideas, developing your own view) -- yet that does not refute the
text/ideas themselves and would be a perspective that is neither
universal in claims nor unbiased/undistorted when considered as such,
as a relative viewpoint.

none of this is wrong or bad, it is simply the nature of ideas and
sharing them, yet these are major issues which are making the sharing
of ideas difficult until they can be worked through-- which was/is
the reason for writing that particular text, in that public language
and addressing issues of the privilege of perspective can allow
getting beyond this impossible condition (relativism) into a
empirical basis for sharing ideas, where there is some standard for
engagement/critique/peer review, etc. which does not exist online
today, for the most part. though I must say it is much harder without
being able to send a conceptual diagram because this is largely about
geometry and cannot be resolved any other way.

in any case, whether you care about what i say or not, thanks for
your feedback.
i will not be changing my writing style so please delete if this is
unacceptable.

(*Andreas, i second this for you, and ask you provide an example....)

  brian thomas carroll: research-design-development
  architecture, education, electromagnetism
  http://www.mnartists.org/brian_carroll
  http://www.electronetwork.org/bc/