Andrew Bucksbarg on Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:00:32 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> report_on_NNA

I find this all very interesting and I would like to point out that
the term "list lurker" does nothing to encourage participation,
but creates a quality of power. Is the "list lurker" part of a
necessary culture, giving authority to those who post regularly
("list dominators?")? I also wonder if a "list moderator" creates a
tension with how the technology of a list works (seen as gate keepers
mapped onto a fundamentally democratic process)? What would happen
if everyone on the nettime list posted regularly? I would also note
that reiterating the "glory days" of nettime does not encourage
participation either. Who wants to be a participant of something
considered past its time? The point about an exhaustion of "list
cultures" (too many) is a good one. Perhaps moderated lists are
perceived as stale and defunct technology and maybe other forms of
collaborative authorship/dialog should be explored, such as a nettime
wiki, nettime Second Life or nettime social software... (something new
to get excited and critical about). We should consider whether nettime
has outgrown a moderated list...

Congratulations to those who worked and participated in the "flesh"
nettime post.  I wish I had the funding to attend : )

Ndrew