Karl-Erik Tallmo on Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:48:00 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Segmund

At 15.46 -0400 06-04-24, Alan Sondheim wrote:

>What is it that people speak about, in these days of dead-film, dead-
>cinema? It is not what people spoke about. Cinema is what they spoke
>about. Cinema is history, networking is speaking, video is what they speak
>about. Listen to a conversation, well it is not the same conversation, it
>is always already a future anterior, already a dead conversation, people
>speaking from the dead. Among living networks, video, living performance,
>organisms. The dead are a carapace on the living. Cinema is popular, is
>always popular, if not film, the enormous screen, eye, darkened theater,
>imagination, comfort of infinite speakers.

I somehow come to think of this McLuhan quotation:

"The past went that-a-way. When faced with a totally new situation, we tend always
to attach ourselves to the objects, to the flavor of the most recent past. We look
at the present through a rear-view mirror. We march backwards into the future.
Suburbia lives imaginatively in Bonanza-land."

(The Medium is the Massage, 1967)

/Karl-Erik Tallmo

   KARL-ERIK TALLMO, poet, writer, artist, journalist
   MAGAZINE: http://art-bin.com
   ARTWORK, WRITINGS etc.: http://www.nisus.se/tallmo/