nettime's avid observer on Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:17:45 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> About French demonstrations [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> About French demonstrations against the new labor law?
     J Rabie <joe@overmydeadbody.org>

   Re: <nettime> About French demonstrations against the new labor law?
     iarvers@free.fr

   Re: <nettime> About French demonstrations against the new labor law?
     Ronda Hauben <ronda@umcc.ais.org>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:45:57 +0100
From: J Rabie <joe@overmydeadbody.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> About French demonstrations against the new labor law?

Le 11 mars 06, =E0 18:19, Ronda Hauben a =E9crit :

> I heard for the first time last night that there have been big
> demonstrations in France against the passage of the new labor
> law which will make it possible for people under 26 years of age
> to be fired without reason.

The precise terms of the law is that young people will sign a contract

that has a two year trial period. What this implies is total job
insecurity, for people starting out in life, getting married, having
children, trying to get bank loans to buy a house. The govt says that
banks will allow loans to people with this contract, however they have

already demonstrated in the past that they have no leverage over the
private sector banks.

> This would seem to give encouragement to employers to terminate
> older workers as well as it will encourage harsh treatment toward
> younger workers.

Thankfully French labour law until now favours employees, so people
with permanent contracts should be generally OK relative to this new
contract. The threat to them comes more from downsizing and from
blackmail to delocalisation ("either work longer hours for the same
pay, or...").

Joe=