Geert Lovink [c] on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:09:38 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> A conversation between Jos? Luis Barrios and Rafael Lozano-Hemmer [u]

>From: Rafael Lozano-Hemmer <errafael@gmail.com>
>Date: 28 October 2005 5:24:23 PM

(Dear Nettime, here is an interview I did with Mexican critic Jos? Luis
Barrios. It recycles a bunch of ideas but also discusses recent
interactive works and public art pieces. Issues covered by this text
include surveillance art, tedium with randomness, and the concept of
"subsculptures" and "antimodularity". If you are in Geneva, please stop
by the exhibition at Galerie Guy Bartschi to see seven new pieces, the
show runs from Nov 5 to mid-January. Best, rafael at lozano-hemmer.com)

A conversation between Jos? Luis Barrios and Rafael Lozano-Hemmer

* This is the edited transcription of a teleconference which took place
in the Sala de Arte P?blico Siquieros (SAPS), Mexico City, on the 20th
of April 2005, and which was moderated by the director of SAPS, Itala
Schmelz. Translation from the Spanish original by Rebecca MacSween.

JLB: The distinguishing factor that defines modernity has to do with
self-awareness, or the ability of the subject to both represent and
represent self-reflexively his activities and relationships with the
world. An important aspect of this is expressed in the Foucaultian
concept technologies of the gaze. Throughout the history of art and
visual culture various strategies of the gaze have existed. How do you
distinguish and conceptualize those strategies that belong to the
present and how are they manifested in your work?

RLH: New visual experiments have always been aided, or even initiated,
by technological advancements. For example, perspective during the
Renaissance, anamorphosis as part of Mannerism, or Eug?ne Chevreul's
color theory for the Impressionists. In this context my contribution is
the following: Walter Benjamin spoke with great clarity about the birth
of modernism. For him the image is that which can be reproduced
mechanically, a condition that eliminates the aural quality from a work
of art. Mechanical reproduction democratizes art, popularizes it, and
takes away that privileged point of view born of singularity. However,
with digital technologies I believe that the aura has returned, and
with a vengeance, because what digital technology emphasizes, through
interactivity, is the multiple reading, the idea that a piece of art is
created by the participation of the user. The idea that a work is not
hermetic but something that requires exposure in order to exist is
fundamental to understand this "vengeance of the aura".

Today digital art, -actually all art-, has awareness. This has always
been true, but we have now become aware of art's awareness. Pieces
listen to us, they see us, they sense our presence and wait for us to
inspire them, and not the other way around. It is no coincidence that
post-modern art emphasizes the audience. In linguistic theory Saussure
would say that it is impossible to have a dialogue without being aware
of your interlocutor. Exactly the same thing was said, almost 100 years
ago in the art world by Duchamp, for example, when he said, "le regard
fait le tableau" (the look makes the painting). What we see happening
is that this concept of dependency is reinforced by digital technology.
Pieces of art are in a constant state of becoming. It's not that they
"are" but that they are "changing into". I think the artist no longer
has a monopoly over their work, or an exhaustive or total position over
its interpretation or representation. Today, it is a more common
idea-an idea that I defend-that the work itself has a life. The work is
a platform and yes the platform has an authorship, but it also has its
points of entry, its loose ends, its tangents, its empty spaces and its
eccentricities. In this sense, artworks tend to be eclectic which for
me signifies the liberation of art, the freedom to reaffirm its
meaning.

In contrast to the idea of creation through the gaze of the public, the
other side of the coin should also be mentioned; the panoptic
computerized gaze. Artistic interest in criticizing the predatory gaze
of the surveillance camera is nothing new; there is for example the
work of Dan Graham, Bruce Nauman or Julia Scher, to mention a few. What
is new is the degree of computerization that the new surveillance
systems, which invade our public and private spaces, possess. Stemming
directly from the American "Patriot Act" is a wide variety of
computer-vision techniques that, for example, are intended for
identifying suspicious individuals or classifying them based on ethnic
traits. It is literally about technologies designed to discriminate
based on a series of innate prejudices. This new intensification of
surveillance is extremely problematic because, in the words of Manuel
DeLanda "it endows the computer with the power of executive decision
making". What is also new is the amount of memory that these systems
have thanks to ever-smaller storage units and increasingly efficient
compression-decompression algorithms (codecs) that allow for the
recording and reproduction of events from the distant past. Lastly, the
widespread popularization of cameras by reality shows and the
penetration into public and private spaces by means of things like web
cams should be mentioned. I have no doubt that a new type of art is
emerging in order to confront these technologies of the panoptic and
post-optic gaze. The Institute for Applied Autonomy, Harun Farocki and
the Bureau of Inverse Technology are some examples of this new line of
inquiry.

JLB: A fundamental aspect of the connection between technology and
language is that which is linked, and this is particularly important in
your work, to society. If the machine is language and a space for play,
how can we understand its function or connection with social bodies?
Let me clarify; in a large part of your work, interventions into the
space of the subject are obvious, whether these spaces are public or
private. This is interesting because at the same time that you link
technology with language (society), you also introduce a type of
"principle of intrusion of technology" to both the subject and their
space. What imaginary social space do you believe your work opens?
Above all I am asking about those pieces that have a direct link to
public spaces.

RLH: It depends on the project and how it is received. Often the
response to the work is very different from what I had imagined. For
example, my installations using giant shadows; the first time I used
the projected shadows of pedestrians in a public art piece was when
transforming the fa?ade of a military arsenal in the Austrian city of
Graz. It happened that in the arsenal there was a painting entitled
"The Scourges of God" depicting the three primary fears of the people
of Graz in medieval times: a potential Turkish invasion, the Bubonic
plague and infestation by locusts. For this installation I invited
dozens of artists and thinkers from all over the world to participate
in an on-line debate on the transformation of the concept of fear.
Perhaps the Turkish threat had been replaced with a fear of an invasion
of Yugoslavian war refugees, or instead of Bubonic plague, the current
day AIDS epidemic. The debate was projected in real time onto the
fa?ade, but I thought I could use the shadows of the pedestrians as a
kind of "window" or "scanner" linking the public to the text. I assumed
that the shadows would give an expressionistic and lugubrious touch to
the piece-I was thinking of Murnau. Also, I wanted the shadows to
function as metaphors for fear: for instance fear of the Turkish
invasion that never happened but was only a menacing specter. I was
totally wrong! As soon as people passed by and noticed the installation
they would start to play with their shadows and perform humorous
pantomimes. The huge dimension of the shadows allowed, for example, for
school children to step on their teachers, or that a man in a
wheelchair could roll his twenty-five-meter-high shadow over the others
deriving great pleasure from squashing them with his giant wheels. The
installation was converted into an ad hoc carnival and nobody thought
for one minute about fears, plagues or invasions. This was one of the
most entertaining errors of my career. The piece, which was called
"Re:Positioning Fear", opened a Bakhtinian carnavalesque space where
the environment was artifice and game, an environment that was
completely outside of my control, literally and poetically.

My projects with shadows since then have benefited greatly from this
lesson. "Body Movies", the piece in which shadows reveal enormous
photographic portraits, precisely invites people to play with their
representations in a public space and to play at being the "other",
like a kind of inverse puppetry. The plastic potential of the shadow is
used not as an absence, loss or darkness, but as a window to an
artificial reality. We were trying to interrupt convention, routine,
the predominant narratives of power that the buildings represented.
Cicero said, "We make buildings and buildings make us". Our situation
in the globalized city says the opposite: the urban environment no
longer represents the citizens, it represents capital. Architects and
urban developers build with the priority to optimize cost, and from
there to the homogenization of globalization, and from there to the
unfortunate reality of contemporary architecture which fetishizes the
modular, the formula. It has reached a crisis of representation that
carries with it a tremendous avidity of connection. In my work I try to
encourage exceptionalism, eccentric reading of the environment, alien
memories (meaning, those that don't belong to the site). I don't want
to develop site-specific installations but rather focus on the new
temporal relationships that emerge from the artificial situation, what
I call "relationship-specific" art.

JLB: In understanding public space as a carnivalesque space it is also
understood why communities developed where-and this also happens with
Relational Architecture-there is no subject identified as autonomous
and independent. Bakhtin explains in his text on the forms of the
carnivalesque in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance that in order for
the carnival to succeed there has to be an overflowing beyond the
limits of the subject's identity and body. It seems to me that in the
examples you provide you reconstitute the carnivalesque condition by
means of shadows, not as theatre but as pantomime. What you do is
create a carnivalesque space in which the user can intervene and
symbolically create a collective body. This is noticeable, for example,
in the fact that you intervene fa?ades or the Z?calo Square in Mexico
City; by doing so certain symbolic connections to power are
deconstructed. In this manner you open a ludic space and deepen the
potential of the social body, but you do this via interactive
technological supports, reinforcing the imaginary-fantastical aspect of
the game. Seen this way, and to delve more deeply into the relationship
between the public space and that of the carnivalesque, what place does
the orgiastic body have in this game?

RLH: My projects vary so it is difficult to generalize. There are
pieces where the body is amplified on an urban scale (Displaced
Emperors, Body Movies, Two Origins), others where the body is the
canvas (Subtitled Public), and others where it becomes the target of
extremely predatory electronic detection (Surface Tension, Standards
and Double Standards). There are also others in which the body plays no
highlighted role (Amodal Suspension, 33 Questions Per Minute, Vectorial
Elevation).

I'd like to make a clarification on a term you used and that is the
idea of the collective. I run away from this idea. In the world of
electronic art there are two competing trends. On the one hand the
unbearable utopian vision of Pierre Levy, amongst others. He proposes a
"collective intelligence", virtual communities that form a global
village, the idea that we are facing the emancipation of the human race
all thanks to inter-connectivity. To me this vision, which is promoted
by publications like Wired, is corporative, colonial and na?ve. I am
amongst the ranks of those that reject the notion of community and the
collective when it comes to acts of interpretation or perception. I
think that we have seen truly disheartening agendas produced in the
name of collectivity. In contrast, I really like the concept of the
connective -a much less problematic word because it joins realities
without a pre-programmed approach. What's interesting is that this
concept doesn't convert realities into homogeneity. What Derrick de
Kerckhove calls "Connective Intelligence" seems more useful as a
concept for linking planes of existence that may be extremely disparate
even if they coexist at times. I would even go so far as to define the
connective as those tangents that pull us out of the collective.

To return to the connection between carnival, body and public space,
"Body Movies" is a piece that inspired different behaviors depending on
where it was presented. When it was to be shown in Lisbon I thought of
the stereotype of the "Latino" who loves to be out on the streets,
partying and hugging affectionately so I expected a lot of this type of
interaction with the piece. However what we saw was people trying their
best not to overlap or interfere with another person's shadow. In
contrast, when we presented the piece in England, where I had thought
we would see considerable modesty and moderation, people got drunk,
took off their clothes and acted out a variety of orgiastic scenes,
which was a lot of fun to watch. This anecdote points out the
difficulty of making generalizations about the body in a public space,
which seems to me like quite a healthy difficulty.

JLB: In your work you make a distinction between "Relational
Architecture" and "Subsculptures". Does this distinction correspond to
certain connections that you maintain or establish with specific
aesthetic systems-architecture or sculpture-or perhaps to formal
concepts, for example, scale, or is it more about two arbitrary
concepts that allow you to explore diverse issues?

RLH: They are more about arbitrary concepts. They are neologisms
designed precisely to avoid being classified with other existing
concepts. I first used the term "relational" in 1994 in describing my
telepresence installation "The Trace". I found the word in the
neurological essays of Maturana and Varela, although I was also aware
of pioneering artists like Lygia Clark and Helio Oiticia and their work
with relational objects. As well, I was interested in the relational
functions of database programs that wove multi-dimensional webs for
connecting various fields, a valuable concept when applied to the word
"architecture" that for so long has signified solidity and permanence.
Lastly, it was a good word in counterpoint to the term "virtual", which
emphasizes the dematerialization of experience and asks us to create in
simulacra. "Relational" emphasizes the dematerialization of the real
environment and asks us to question the dissimulation. Today the term
is already dated, partly because of the popularization of the term
"relational aesthetics" by Nicolas Bourriaud, which by the way has
little to do with my work and was published a number of years after I
used the term. For the sake of coherence with my earlier work, I will
probably continue to make Relational Architecture pieces maintaining
the two grotesque definitions that I gave to the field: "technological
actualizations of urban environments with alien memory" (1994) and the
newer "anti-monuments for public dissimulation" (2002).

I started the series of Subsculptures in 2003 with the motorized belt
piece "Standards and Double Standards". I have already added another
three to the series: the kinetic sculpture "Synaptic Caguamas", the
interactive screen piece "Glories of Accounting" and the neon piece
"Entanglement". It's true that in the majority of cases these are more
portable and nomadic pieces than the Relational Architecture
installations are, -however I think that at some point I will make huge
Subsculptures... so, the scale isn't the difference. I don't yet have a
definition of what "Subsculpture" is but I think it has to do with
contagion matrices. All of the installations consist of two or more
interconnected robotic or virtual entities. The rules of behavior for
these entities are relatively simple, but they are dependent on and
influenced by the status of neighbouring entities or other inputs, for
example the surveillance of the public (my installations almost always
"watch the watchers", as Daniel Garcia And?jar would say). In this way,
they achieve an unpredictable and emergent global behavior, where
turbulence and other phenomena that are products of non-linear
processes are found. For example, in "Standards and Double Standards"
there are between 10 to 100 buckled belts hung from interconnected
robots. A computerized camera system detects a visitor and instructs
nearby belts to rotate on their own axis until the belt buckle faces
him or her. This local movement then spreads in a process of chain
reactions that travel throughout the matrix until the entire field of
belts has been affected. If a second visitor enters, then those belts
closest to this second presence will be influenced and begin to rotate
in the same manner described spreading and influencing the orientation
of the entire field. The resulting effect are patterns of interference
very similar to those that can be seen, for example, in a tank of water
into which various drops fall; some belts remain still, others turn
constantly (eddies) and others follow the spectators.

Another aspect of Subsculptures is my interest in Barbara Liskov's
"Substitution Principle" that says, in object-oriented programming,
that an object of one class can be substituted for another in an
inherited class without changing the properties of the program. It's
something like the concept of metonymy in psychoanalysis or linguistics
and like the categorical syllogism in philosophy called the "minor
premise" or "subsumption". Liskov's Substitution Principle is, for me,
extremely useful when it comes to making symbolic transferences between
disparate or copresent realities. For example in "Standards and Double
Standards" the belt substitutes the figure of masculinity, the father,
authority. I'll give you other examples: in "Synaptic Caguamas" beer
bottles play at being neurons in an algorithmic simulation of cerebral
connections; in "Glories of Accounting" the raised hands are both
metaphors of the Fascist salute and of the Spanish anti-terrorist
gesture of "manos blancas" ("white hands"), -the hands also
simultaneously signify distance (as in a "stop" gesture) and inclusion
(as in the expression "show of hands"); and a last example,
Entanglement, in which the neons connected to the Internet substitute
for the photons linked by quantum mechanics.

Contrary to what the Substitution Principle asks for, in my
Subsculptures substitution has a formal impact: it leaves a symbolic
residue and destabilizes equivalencies. This residue is the strength of
the piece, its poetry and its absurdity. For this reason I propose
anti-modular strategies for artwork. I like breakdowns, the remainder
in a division, and rounding errors. I find modularization boring and
homogenizing. Modularization is promoted by:

* Computer science, through object-oriented programming, or plug-ins
* The art world, through the idea of authorship and bienialism
* Capital, as an instrument of control and quantification
* Architecture, using the formula as a solution (see Norman Foster)
* Education, through the modernist idea of specialization

No doubt my work is often quite modular, above all in its fabrication
and sale, and it's better to confess it even though it is a
contradiction, because one cannot live outside of the zeitgeist.

I think that Relational Architecture, like Subsculpture, can exhibit
the anti-modular, symbolic inequalities or develop itself in the
matricial space of rules of contagion. So there is no definite line
that separates the two series. It is true that the Subsculpture series
is slightly more personal; perhaps it is more an investigation of
psychological spaces than of urban ones. I have been doing
psychotherapy for four years now and maybe that explains that!

JLB: I would like to go back to the problem of non-linear mathematics
and its relationship to "Synaptic Caguamas". When information is flow,
a multi-perspectival flow that unfolds in various dimensions, it
introduces the notion of "possibility" as a form of construction. It's
interesting to me that this piece is not built on random relationships
but that it is more about variables and vanishing lines configuring the
system of representation. Keeping this in mind, I would like you to
explain how this flow of information operates aesthetically as a system
of self-management and self-configuration.

RLH: Recursive algorithms, chaos theory, cellular automata, digital
genetics and other descriptions of complex dynamic processes are
fascinating because they appear to be alive, to have life. Some exhibit
evolution, others morphogenesis, and still others management and
self-control. Mathematics associated to this field originate from
various places, one of them being Weiner's postulation of the theory of
Cybernetics in Mexico City in 1946, -it's definitely not something new.
If during the Renaissance perspective and Fibonacci's series were used
as media to legitimize the production of representation, today we can
and should make dynamic mathematics our media. The Renaissance subject
emerges precisely from the privileged vision of the vanishing point.
What might be the equivalent impact as we contemplate, say, a fractal
pattern? These mathematics shatter humanism, fortunately. They allow
artists to design work that disobeys us (and the critics).

Until these mathematics reached the art world one of the only
strategies that the artist had to create unexpected processes, for
example a kinetic sculpture or automatic poetry, was chance. The people
whom I most admire worked with chance in a very serious way -like John
Cage or Marcel Duchamp- but I think that randomness is not that
interesting anymore. Not even the greatest computer in the world could
generate numbers that are truly random. Today we accept that the
occurrence of a hurricane isn't due to bad luck but due to the
consequences of a non-linear system of energy distribution (Lorenz's
famous "fluttering of the wings of a butterfly on the other side of the
planet"). Of course this doesn't mean that there is a destiny or that
everything is predictable, it's exactly the opposite. These mathematics
show us that uncertainty is inseparable from the system being observed,
and artists love to work with uncertainty.

Today it is possible to create art from seeds, which actually is called
"seeding the initial conditions" for a process, and then the work
unfolds via mathematics in ways that you cannot control. You'll notice
that every three minutes the bottles in "Synaptic Caguamas" line-up and
reset themselves. This is done to give new initial conditions and to
generate a variety of behaviors because on occasion the emerging
patterns are boring or the bottles remain locked in what is referred to
as "dynamic equilibrium".

Complexity describes processes like neuronal connections, genetic
mutations, and the variegation of leaves. There is an infinity of
examples of how non-linear mathematics permeate almost all of our
natural and social history. Manuel DeLanda writes about how this
dynamic flows can be used to understand history in a non-linear way,
-it's not about the selective recording of facts, dates and heroes, but
rather it's about understanding history in terms of fields of
attraction, of isobars, of influences, which is how non-linear math
works. We want to visualize these flows, animate them, and evoke them
so that they can help us give shape to our work.

JLB: "Subtitled Public" is a piece that isolates chance. When we were
speaking about the piece a while ago, you said that it was a little
like Mallarm?'s roll of the dice. One roll of the dice, as in this
piece, puts in motion a mechanism where poetry, theatricality,
technology and non-linear mathematics construct a complex space of
meaning. A space where language names me and, at the same time, the
body is interpreted as a shadow. How do you explain the connection
between intrusion and evasion in this piece when it is a metaphor for
the society of surveillance? What importance does the interaction of
the spectator have with the piece as a sort of "subversion" of the fact
that in the contemporary world "I am named"?

RLH: Chance is present in "Subtitled Public": A visitor is detected by
a computerized surveillance system and the computer randomly selects a
verb, conjugated in the third person, and is then projected onto the
visitor's body. The visitor cannot get rid of the word that will follow
him or her throughout the entire exhibition space, unless physical
contact is made with another visitor, in which case they swap verbs.
The use of chance in this piece has an important ironic component. Here
we have a display of surveillance technology detecting the public's
presence with great precision. The system pretends to have the ability
to identify moods, gestures, desires and actions, but in the end it is
chance that takes this to an absurd level. It's a comment on
identification technologies that I spoke about in the beginning of this
interview. I use chance, a throw of the dice, when criticizing the
ridiculous systems used for example by the Department of Homeland
Security in the USA that are trying to identify suspicious individuals.

Surveillance never tires of taking possession of our words and images.
In my recent work I ask what would happen if all the cameras became
projectors and gave us words and images rather than take them away from
us?

In a piece such as this one I like the public's rejection to "being
named". When we enter a piece of art or a public space, we all have
certain values that are given to us by what we read, who we know, who
we have seen etc. What I want is to shake up those values and create
something dysfunctional, a moment of resistance and of rejection of
those preconceived mantras. I look for the "special defects" that allow
me to activate the imperfections, the disruptions; "to disrupt" seems
to be the most precise term for describing what I want to do. The
system projected the words "se mea" ("she urinates") onto a friend of
mine who came to the opening and the words chased her through the
exhibition space until I finally showed her how to rub them onto
someone else. For me it's valuable that there is a moment of resistance
to the assigned label, that people don't accept the subtitle nor see it
as an oracle, that they are always conscious of the lie. I loved the
comment of one visitor who said, "I got the word 'inv?lido'
(handicapped), and maybe I am handicapped but I don't exactly know in
what way" and there was another person who said, "you put on a
psychological outfit depending on the word you get".

I think we are not done with exploring the culture of paranoia. I don't
feel happy having to make art that works on that level, however I think
it is extremely important to do so. What has been happening since
September 11th is very, very serious. The authorities believe in the
huge fallacy that the solution to terrorism should be technological. I
react against that. We must use the distortions of the camera, and
underline the innate prejudices of our media, of ourselves. Next time a
person stops in front of a surveillance camera they might expect to
have words projected on his or her body, and know that it is highly
likely that they will not agree with the subtitle assigned to their
public body.