Heiko Recktenwald on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:14:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> THOUGHT THIEVE$ info [en/es/de/it]

Hi,

miss.gunst@gmx.net wrote:

>>THOUGHT THIEVE$ is a short film showcase about corporate appropriation
>>of knowledge, culture, and creativity. It is a grassroots response to
>>the Micro$oft propaganda competition of the same name [see
>>http://www.msn.co.uk/thoughtthieves/Default.asp].
>>

>great project. good idea.
>[and, btw., esp. as everybody will know microsoft's 'be creative' ad
>campaign, a great example of advanced cynicism imhop]

But the details.....why, for example, this WIPO bashing?

I recomment to really READ the WIPO treaties and to compare them with
the *US* DMCA.  What is really bad is all in DMCA only. No fair use etc.
The idea of DRM comes from the WIPO treaties, yepp, but how it is
implemented matters! And DRM may also have some good sides, btw, like it
or not, not all cases are the same.

And how open source is Quicktime?

There are a lot of open source players around, that are much more
powerfull, VLC, mplayer etc.  There is also the dear and noble Real
Player, that plays "Quicktime" content as well. The NYT uses it that
way. The only problem with this magnitude of players is that there is no
"universal metafile for MPEG 4 Video", the NYT uses Reals "One Click
Streaming" sotution, for example.  This is THE problem of internet TV
IMHO, but I may be biased

So my impression was that it is basically kiddy stuff.

IMHO Apples iPods etc, QT and powerbooks included, are so extremly UGLY.
This white, this "clean" attitude, this "we are different", it all
doesnt matter.

H.

mpegurl.blog.de.