Heiko Recktenwald on Mon, 6 Jun 2005 06:54:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> new europe, old europe [pocock, joe, geer, elloi]

> To start with a "constitution" without any european public, that is more
> than a french or dutch (the germans were not even asked, why not, because
> they cannot vote?..), was ridicule.

Maybe it was allready ridicule to start something that would need a
constitution with the EU, maybe there should be a second independent body
and the relation of the two bodies should be governed by politics and not
by law. A constitution is something universal, but the European Economic
Community, now called the EU, is completely different, a set of limited
competences to enforce certain rules of free trade.

This afternoon I was reading cases, one of them is Irish Souvernirs.
Irish Souvenirs, that are made in Belgium or whereever, were not allowed
to have a "foreign" sign on them. Shure, this "foreign" sign, to label
"fake" souvenirs, is an obscacle to free trade, and what is the difference
between a souvenir made 200 miles away from a souvenir made 800 miles
away, but there is a difference. The EU is forcing us into a world where
such things dont matter anymore.

Well, Schiller or Yeats and Mickey Mouse, this is all printed paper..

H.