Alan Sondheim on Sun, 1 May 2005 05:40:57 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> governance on Poetics

(I'm on the Poetics email list. The list has increasingly censored any
creative work on it, moving instead towards a bureaucratic approach of
announcements, etc. This has been done, now, with censorship - in a
situation which was originally open. I sent the following yesterday to the
list; it made it back briefly, then seemed to disappear from the archives.
People on digest told me they never received it. I sent it again, and
again nothing. The situation is particularly ugly since Poetics started as
a 'creative' list and wields a great deal of cultural power, however much
that's possible within a 'poetry' format. Anyway, I'm forwarding the
below, in the hopes that, if in fact this was deliberate censorship, some
of the list participants (and some of those named for that matter) might
have a chance to read it. - Alan)

I'm writing this email and sending it out to a number of lists because I
think the issue of list governance is important; I now run three lists in
collaboration for example.

The Poetics list has increasingly not only eroded community, but also
created a canonic and rigid framework for what is and is not poetics - a
framework that excludes not only my own experimental work, for example,
but also Ishaq's politicized and rhetorical experimental/manifesto
approach.

This is done without any voting on the part of the list members, without
any discussion - it's the identical fiat used by Bush and company, presen-
ting the appearance of good governance, damning constituencies behind the
scenes.

And as with Bush and company, I don't see really any debate here - what
the moderators did, they did from on high, without explanation, or with
poor explanation. Unlike "my" lists which are responsive to community, the
Poetics list is responsive primarily to the moderators.

This is ugly.

There _are_ lists that are open for discussion and presentation - again I
mention wryting, also Imitationpoetics (whose title now appears the other
way around) - for anyone truly experimenting with poetics and new media,
there is the webartery list as well. What's depressing is that the Poetics
list was once a community, once edgy, and now that's permanently gone.

It's been ordered so by the bureaucrats - for what could be more bureau-
cratic than to increasingly turn a community towards announcements, and
discussions, but beware of the _originary material_ of such discussions?

Meanwhile the list veers more and more towards memorials for Creeley,
Ginsberg, god knows who else, as if a list on contemporary aesthetics
should bemoan what, Judd's death? Warhol?

Times move on but this list ossifies - and this is a real and political
danger, I believe; it reinforces notions of what is and is not acceptable,
it promulgates the canonic - and this is nowhere so clear as in the
censoring of Ishaq - for shame! - it reifies the academy (just look at the
'officiating' titles of some of the blog entries around here). I can't
imagine Whitman, Rimbaud, Lautreamont, participating here; unfortunately I
_can_ imagine the right-winged Eliot having a ball.

Along the same lines there are almost _no_ discussions of _contemporary_
poetics - for example computer aesthetics, the sorts of things Florian
Cramer, Funkhauser, Sandy Baldwin, mez, Talan Memmott, Nick Montfort, Jim
Rosenberg, etc. write about. Where is codework? Where is jodi? Where is a
discuss of hackerz or warez? Where is Eugene Thacker, Kenji Siratori?
Solipsis? Noemata? Meskens? l_oy? Where are presentations of this
material? The world of poetry/poetics is changing - and the only sign I
see here and in general is the continual claims of language poetry to have
been there at the foundations of new media poetics.

Which just isn't true - if you look at the early work reflected say in the
Software Catalog or my 1971 pieces or even some of early Acconci. But just
as with Bush and associates, not only does this list mourn and mourn, but
it also creates false histories, measured statements, etc.

This list, with its increased closures, in fact is increasingly doing
culture a disservice - as if poetry/poetics/whatthefuck were something one
can conveniently legislate, a world of gentleman and gentlewoman writers.
And none of this would matter, except that this list already has, not only
a large subscriber list, but the ability to weild a great deal of power,
in terms of publications, grants, academic and other positions. It
protects itself, just as the writers protect themselves, tuning me and
others out, censoring any creative work qua creative work, because after
all poetics turns on itself and elsewhere publication, and this is a list
for the pure.

Where is Kent Johnson? From the Poetics viewpoint, perhaps all of us
should throw ourselves out the collective window, as Zero Mostel did last
night in a rerun of The Front on TCM. Because things sure aren't going to
change around here, and language poetry, basking in academic spotlights,
will petrify literary culture until it becomes another Pound/Eliot/
monument memorial in someone else's Inbox.

I recognize that I am probably way off-target here, but there are very few
places like Poetics used to be, and its free-wheeling nature was a god-
send. If one wants to post readings/publications/etc. there are a _lot_ of
other ways to handle it - for example nettime announcements, which
parallels and accompanies nettime, or the Franklin Furnace goings on list.
But that won't do here - instead everyone has to be controlled, and as the
letter to me showed - since it was sent back-channel - controlled from
behind the scenes. The same goes for Ishaq (who I respect but obviously
don't like - he's been far too nasty to me personally) - who, as much as
any of us, has been contributing to what constitutes writing/wryting at
the beginning of the 21st century. And his is a voice that _needs_ to be
heard, dealing with _contemporary_ issues, rather than whether Ginsberg is
misogynist or not for gods sake. Or at least to be heard _as much as the
latter._

I'm sending this out everywhere, since I'm not sure the moderators will
let it through. Or else they will, in a show of kindly and superior
liberality. But at least it will be elsewhere on the Net.

And I do apologize if I've misread anything, btw. This is not a flame but
a complaynte in a country at war both inside and out.

- Alan

( URLs/DVDs/CDroms/books/etc. see http://www.asondheim.org/advert.txt )