Nicholas Ruiz on Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:27:31 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The Sovereignty of the Code

[reformatted @ nettime]

In light of Galloway and Thacker's post--a contribution.

The Sovereignty of the Code

(and The Sovereignty of the Code II):
http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/%7Enr03/The%20Sovereignty%20of%20the%20Code%20par=
t%20II.rm

"The living being has logos by taking away and conserving its own voice in
it, even as it dwells in the polis by letting its own bare life be
excluded, as an exception, within it.  Politics therefore appears as the
truly fundamental structure of Western metaphysics insofar as it occupies
the threshold on which the relation between the living thing and the logos
is realized. In the politicization of bare lif--the metaphysical task
par excellence--the humanity of living man is decided."[i]

Every biotic organism's inception is the inauguration of a new Code, that
which has not been before it, and it's Code is in this sense, proof of its
singularity; at least on one plateau of its being.  Deoxyribonucleic acid
and its precursors and analogs are the substance of this Code; its
expressions paradoxically are at once unique and universal.  Buying and
selling of the Code is a bit like the buying and selling of God, except
that God is immaterial, whereas the Code is essentially material, and its
trade portends an inverse relationship between the owners of the Code,
whom own and prefigure their possession, and the Code itself, that is
elemental within us, that is being defined, recoded and utilized according
to standards specifically not of our own device, but rather, the device of
Capital.

The appropriation of the Code by the device of Capital is distinctively
non-egalitarian, which is to say that, like the process of the
distribution of general healthcare, the technology of the Code is being
privatized and selectively anthropomorphosized and the subsequent
information sequestered for the extreme benefit of the few via patenting
and withholding. The appropriation of the Code is critically more
problematic than the stratification and sequestering of healthcare
services through the device of Capital because, what is being appropriated
is in effect our bodies--our manifest physical sovereignty, albeit at the
molecular level.  A determination as to whether or not there is an
argument for the socialization of the genetic industry will not yield
itself easily.  But in spite of this, perhaps, as Cahill has written,
"the argument that commodification constitutes social injustice does
not
require showing that every instance of a certain type of commodification
(e.g. gene patenting) constitutes violation of respect for persons or
creates harm, or that no instance of it whatsoever could be
justified."[ii]

Rather, the tooling of the Code is better theorized as a breach of
sovereignty, and further, a breach that has taken place without our
consent.  But in what manner could consent be given for such an activity?
It would require an open public forum of discourse with regard to the
broader meaning and ramifications with which the said activity in question
was involved.  Corporate media cannot serve this purpose, because media,
do not mediate discussions, they inform consumers; mostly, after the fact,
after the larger decision has essentially already been made at the locus
of decisive power.

If the Code itself, the material that codes for our lives, is not
sovereign, how can an argument of sovereignty be made for any other
entity?  If there is no concept of sovereignty for the Code, how can there
be a substantial of sovereignty for anything else?  A sovereignty polity?
What in effect, does a sovereign polity represent, if it's the very life
material of its members has no sovereignty under its aegis?  If one has no
operational stake in the determination of the very substance of one's
material being, what stake has he in his own governance?  It would seem
then, that we have lost our Basis, for polity, and for governance and
self-determination, with one swift, technological blow.  The market-driven
distribution of healthcare, while unjust, does not appropriate sovereign
territory for the device of Capital; the appropriation of the Code, in
contrast, is precisely an infiltration on the order of the cell, upon its
sovereignty, and on the order of personal sovereignty, by the device of
Capital. Foucault spoke of such a non-disciplinary control, as working in
conjunction with the more transparent disciplinary control of power and
punishment.  The disciplinary event of power is always concerned with the
bodies it acts to control with its technology, while that non-disciplinary
of power is somewhat more concerned with the appropriation of the living
being--at the level of the species, if necessary.[iii] Where the
disciplinary event rules a multiplicity of human beings to the extent that
they may be trained under surveillance, used and punished, the
non-disciplinary event elevates the stakes; this event of power addresses
the multiplicity, and some might say, addresses the multitude that
supposedly enables a new sovereign line of flight from the oppression of
Empire.[iv] As Capital trespasses the sovereignty of the Code; it does so
as the non-disciplinary event of power that addresses:

"...a global mass affected by overall processes characteristic of birth,
death, production, illness, and so.  So after a first seizure of power
over the body in an individualizing mode, we have second seizure of power
that is not individualizing but, if you like, massifying, that is directed
not at man-as-body but at man-as-species=85the emergence of something that
is no longer an anatomo-politics of the human body, but what I would call
a 'biopolitics' of the human race."[v]

The newest politicization of bare life, this inclusion of our technical
bodies "in the political realm constitutes the original--if
concealed--nucleus of sovereign power."[vi] Is this the sovereign
sacrifice being asked of us on the altar of Capital?  If identity is
already a mediated event, will the era of stratified economically, and
hence class-based genetic profiles materialize, and soon enough, genetic
advertisements for designer brands of Code, soon grace our media screens?
Better genes (for better bodies for better people) for better lives of joy
and affluence?  We already know how much we should weigh, what we should
eat, how to worship (or not) how we should look, talk, feel,
reproduce--perhaps we need guidance as to how we should be comprised at
the molecular level, at the very level of the cell?  What are the
aesthetic stakes of genetic fashion?  How current is your Code?  Will we
speak of last year's Code? Leave the Code to the corporations and soon
enough, we shall see.

It is already the case that healthcare, in America, is a commodity.  The
interiority of good intentions are laid open to the globalizing world of
accumulation and withholding, and in that polar schema, illness and
capitalization reside on opposite poles.  Recognize, that in practice, the
rule (as opposed to the exception) is that healthcare is distributed
according to the ability to pay for the goods.  In essence, this
distributive schema provides the best and the most healthcare to the
highest bidder.  This process materializes a healthcare system wherein it
is not the manner of a moral or ethical rationale that facilitates and
distributes healthcare, but instead a moral and ethical illusion we purvey
as an ideology that upholds the slogan of " to each according to need",
while operationally we calculate and execute a rationale that manifests a
policy where we operationalize a pragmatics of, "to each according to the
ability to pay"[vii] With regard to genetic industry, what awaits us is an
array of genetically manipulated profiles being held in higher esteem than
others, and will not "their relative desirability be at least partially
reflected in the specific amount of money people will pay to ensure that
they (or their children) possess such profiles"?[viii] Further, will the
biotechnology corporations not raise their prices in adjustment to
increasing demand, as the metaphysical canon of technological supply and
demand models command of market parishioners?  As it stands, is it
inconceivable that we will begin to use the monetary value of possessing
certain genes {or gene technologies} as a proxy for the value of persons
who possess them"?[ix] Every other commodity renders an identity to its
possessor, what will be different in the genetic profile?

What we are facing now, in our postmodern present, in contrast to our
modern past, is representative of the kinds of occurrences we are
increasingly faced with, that is, the burgeoning cultivation of the means
to pair political economy intimately with bare cellular life. The
culmination of this event renders the disappearance of the
"intelligibility that still seems to us to characterize the
juridicopolitical foundation of classical politics."[x] Nothing stands in
front of the colonization, indeed the imperialization, of the Code, and
the resultant biopolitics will include "forecasts, statistical estimates
and overall measures=85in a word, security mechanisms (will) have to be
installed around the random element inherent in a population of living
beings so as to optimize a state of life."[xi] What is a genetic profile,
if not simply data to be managed?  And what will be the sociopolitical
risks of dubious or 'dicey' sequences of Code in one's profile?

In practice, today the Code is researched, taken apart, manipulated,
defined, edited, reinserted--and in this sense, we may say that we are
reassembling and redefining bare life, in the process of genetic
engineering.  As we engage in this postmodern process, might there be a
difference between the process being executed and patented by
corporations, instead of being conducted, archived and managed solely by
public institutions?  To begin with, is not bare life, de facto, already
in the public domain?  Should it not remain so?  Does not each one of us
have an ownership stake in the cells of our composition and the
information contained within and derived therefrom?  Perhaps not.  Our
current policy, allows for genetic engineering to be conducted and genetic
patents to be held on gene products by corporations whose agenda is to
execute a profit motivated strategy that is designed to excel at selling
products to consumers, "rather than providing care for patients."[xii]
Essentially, our policies arise out of a discourse that is governed by the
rules of a language predicated upon the rationale of market logic, and
that is to say, all is marketable, and what is favorable is seldom other
than what is profitable, while capital loss of any kind is to be
categorically shunned.

The violation of the sovereignty of the Code is principally a
"supersession of reproduction by production even in the context of human
reproduction" and is the "true measure of the ontological transformation
humankind has effected."[xiii] It is also representative of the extent to
which we exist in a state of that is somewhere beyond human, as Hayles has
put it (though for Hayles, "the defining characteristics {of
posthumanity}, involves the construction of subjectivity, not the presence
of non-biological components").[xiv] This incursion of Capital upon the
Code coexists with and acts as a direct function of the ability and desire
of an amalgam of personalities; those appropriating the Code of everyone
for the express purpose of private rights to, or control of the Code--of
course, for the purpose of accumulation and withholding. What is the basis
of criticism for this process?  Beauchamp and Childress construct a
bioethical model based, in part, upon Aristotelian conceptions of
morality, though they are careful to indicate that they: "=85do not claim
to be presenting a distinctively Aristotelian theory, and are motivated by
objectives that contemporary Aristotelians may or may not share."[xv] In
light of their endnote caveat, it is interesting that Beauchamp and
Childress essentially formulate their conception of moral excellence out
of the Aristotelian canon: "Aristotelian ethical theory has long insisted
that moral excellence is closely connected to virtues and moral ideals.
We will draw on this Aristotelian tradition and on our prior analysis of
moral ideals and supererogation for an account of moral excellence."[xvi]
One might say there is a sense of reformative lamentation in their
'supererogation' of Aristotelian ideals, in the sense that they posit a
widespread loss of both "high ideals in the moral life" and "Aristotelian
aspiration to an admirable life of moral achievement" in modern ethical
theory; and their project is to reverse this trend.[xvii] The problem with
this paradoxical position as a foundation for a biopolitical policy that
purveys application to all citizens equally is the ill-informed call upon
Aristotelian ethics to substantiate it, because Greek society and ethics
were based upon a severely stratified society, where for example, women
and slaves were not considered voting citizens, and only Greek men with
property and means were considered worthy of Aristotelian notions of
idyllic excellence.  Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics is not an ethics of
the 'people'; it showcases the idyllic ethics of a male upper class, in a
Greek society that existed thousands of years in the past.  This
discrepancy needs to be more adequately addressed in order for us to take
seriously, the Aristotelian basis for a biopolitical policy.  Some may
call this work that of the discipline of bioethics, but dismembered from
policy implementation, bioethics is powerless to act.

In consideration of how all of this applies to our denunciation here of
the violation of the sovereignty of the Code, we must note that the
intrusion upon the sovereignty of the Code by a Capitalized class faction
via the apparition of 'benevolent' dictatorship coalesced from the
collusion of government and corporate entities is all very
Aristotelian--and that is precisely the problem.  However, none of this is
to say that we cannot learn from Aristotle's oeuvre--in fact, we can and
do; it is imperative, however, that we know what to embrace and of what to
be skeptical in his literary corpus and its contemporary renderings.
Aristotelian ethics do not lead societies to an egalitarian form of
governing, nor do they reflect an egalitarian distribution of technologies
and their benefits, health-related or otherwise.  In fact, Aristotelian
ethics revolve around "legislators {making} the citizens good by forming
habits in them"--which it should be noted, translates into the benevolent
dictatorship of the philosopher-king of Confucius and Mencius, Plato and
Aristotle, etc., which in modernity virulently becomes the unconscious
basis of Stalin and Hitler's superior 'intelligence' and 'wisdom' in the
matters of the people, which then gives way in postmodernity to
vertiginous delusions of Empire.  Aristotle's conceptions are quite clear,
in regard to laws, distribution, justice, equity and the like:

"Since the lawless man was seen to be unjust and the law-abiding man just,
evidently all lawful acts are in a sense just acts; for the acts laid down
by the legislative art are lawful, and each of these, we say, is just. Now
the laws in their enactments on all subjects aim at the common advantage
either of all or of the best or of those who hold power, or something of
the sort; so that in one sense we call those acts just that tend to
produce and preserve happiness and its components for the political
society=85 Since acting unjustly does not necessarily imply being unjust,
we must ask what sort of unjust acts imply that the doer is unjust with
respect to each type of injustice, e.g. a thief, an adulterer, or a
brigand. Surely the answer does not turn on the difference between these
types. For a man might even lie with a woman knowing who she was, but the
origin of his might be not deliberate choice but passion. He acts
unjustly, then, but is not unjust; e.g. a man is not a thief, yet he
stole, nor an adulterer, yet he committed adultery; and similarly in all
other cases." [xviii]

And this is how Aristotelian morality can lead to non-egalitarian polity,
because when the unjust is committed--it is not necessarily a crime in his
theoretical scaffolding, and hence can proceed and grow.  Further, in
judging the acts as unjust or just, equitable or inequitable, who is
qualified to judge?  Surely, egalitarian polity, in that it is purported
to purvey fair and equitable representative relationships between members
in society cannot be so, when laws can be thought just they the case where
they serve only the interests "of those who hold power." A compelling
conception of justice would have to include that judges should be
representative of the broader population, as should Senators, and
Representatives, that is, if they are to be 'representative' of the polis,
in order to construct an egalitarian polity, no?  Beauchamp and Childress
recognize this:

"Sometimes, persons who suppose that they speak with an authoritative
moral voice operate under the false belief that they have the force of the
common morality (that is, universal morality) behind them.  The particular
moral viewpoints that such persons represent may be acceptable and even
praiseworthy, but they also may not bind other persons or
communities."[xix]

With regard to the genetic industry, who is speaking with 'moral
authority' and making public policy?  To whose ethical standard is the
protocol of the Code being held?  Who defines the parameters of the
sovereignty of the Code?  The public?  The government?  Corporations?
Bioethicists?  It is easy to ask the wrong questions in this regard.  The
difficulty in calling upon Aristotle to formulate principles of justice
lies in his lack of urgency for a convincing formulation of equity and
representation, and while questions such as "=85how shall we define
equality, and which differences are relevant in comparing individuals and
groups?" [xx] are relevant, they are insufficient without solving for more
cogent problems, such as the determination of who exactly is in a position
to participate in the development and representation of equality.

Disparities are generally the result of some fashion of withholding, and
via the emergence of biopolitical power, result in the accumulation of new
violence, which we have been slow to identify.  Freud:

"In spite of every efforts, endeavors of civilization have not so far
achieved very much.  It hopes to prevent the crudest excesses of brutal
violence by itself assuming the right to use violence against criminals,
but law is not able to lay hold of the more cautious and refined
manifestations of human aggressiveness."[xxi]

Unfortunately, principled challenges come to be dealt with after
technological discovery, and many times after dilemmas have already
materialized, and that is because researchers and financiers are well
versed in information derivation, validation, and operationalization, as
well as the tacit sequestration and deployment of Capital, but little
else.  Hanson admits that "the offense of market alienation implied by
{genetic} patenting is that the market rights and profit interests are
'added' to the traits that we pass down through reproduction as treasured
parts of ourselves, thereby implying that sovereignty over traits can be
established and separated from persons possessing those traits."[xxii] Yet
Hanson also sidesteps this breach of genetic sovereignty by market forces
and essentially contends: "Strictly speaking, a patent--as an intellectual
property right that excludes others from commercial exploitation--does not
equate to the buying and selling of genes or other patented biological
material."[xxiii] But the contractual rights to an agent do not have to
literally require the transfer of material ownership of material existents
to an 'owner' in order to violate sovereignty.

Ownership of genetic material is already literally assumed by virtue of
its longstanding location (inside of us), is it not a birthright to assume
ownership claims to one's own bodily parts and information (e.g. one's
organs, name, social security number, technical identity, etc.)?  It is
irreconcilable with just and equitable theory (not Aristotelian, but
egalitarian theory, and that is to say, one in which the communicative
field of action is level)[xxiv] to allow for the privatization of genetic
materials and the products derived therefrom that belong to everyone in
the species class.  These effects already are public from their
reproductive conception, and within the sovereign dominion of the person,
and more broadly, of every human being.  That we allow this violation is a
travesty, and further, it is not so much that we allow it, as much as we
are subjected to it without due process.

Public participation in the direct governance of biopolitical concerns
requires confrontation of the productive kind that only deliberative
representation in polity can bring, which is adequately addressed by many
theorists, as in when Leib[xxv] argues for a fourth, deliberative branch
of government. The deliberative branch would be comprised of average
American citizens, randomly chosen to serve in the way that juries are
chosen, for specific term periods, in order to realistically balance the
legislative, judicial and executive branches of government, where a
branch, (e.g. the legislative branch), consists of a Senate and House that
are comprised of an affluent minority percentage of the demographic of the
broader U.S.; and many of which actively maintain and benefit from
incestuous relationships with large corporations.

The question of us all maintaining sovereignty over the Code of our
species, instead of solely an affluent segment of our species that have
access to Capital and its most powerful devices (e.g. patents)--as is fast
becoming the case and standard--is not a question of whether or not we
equate ourselves with our genes, but rather a question of the usurpation
of our personal and social property for private interests.  This is not to
say that genetic industry should cease, but instead is to say that we as a
collective society should argue for public ownership and access to the
Code and its derivatives.  We should subsidize this endeavor as a whole,
corporations included--but they should not hold all the cards in the game,
the patents in the law field, nor the means to sequester the benefits and
information derived from the Code for the benefit of the few, at the
expense of the sovereignty of the whole species.  It is not a question of
arguing for or against the commodification of genetic industry as it
applies to human Code, because everything is in the sphere of commodity
today--our milieu is commodious.  It is a question of sovereignty, and
genetic material being colonialized like new virgin territory taken from
the primal natives, and the project reeks of the colonial projects we
should all be quite familiar with by now. The stakes are large in the
industrialization and privatization of the Code.  In the past we spoke of
alienation, but today it is dehumanization that is normalizing relations
as a process of human exchange akin to the trade of Capital.

Foucault:

"The norm is not simply and not even a principle of intelligibility; it is
an element on the basis of which a certain exercise of power is founded
and legitimized.  Canguilhelm calls it a polemical concept.  Perhaps we
could say it is a political concept.  In any case=85the norm brings with
it a principle of both qualification and correction.  The norm's function
is not to exclude and reject.  Rather, it is always linked to a positive
technique of intervention and transformation, to a sort of normative
project."[xxvi]

If we were always and already just an instance of staging, of
normalization, most recently that of becoming-Capital, then this is the
finalization of that trend.  When the Code is fully commodious, human
value will be fully exchangeable, floating like currency value, in trade,
in electronic flux, with no basis and no future--the death of the species
as previously understood.  This process will include, not exclusion and
rejection, but an intervening stratification, of only a vaguely
reminiscent class based dispersion:  Baudrillard: "Peut-on se batte contre
l'A.D.N.?  Certainement pas =E0 coups de lutte de classes."[xxvii]

If the class struggle is powerless in the face of Capital, in the face of
the currency of the Code, in the face of power, what will take its place?
Foucault:

"Now that power is decreasingly the power of the right to take life, and
increasingly the right to intervene to make live, or once power begins to
intervene mainly at this level in order to improve life by eliminating
accidents, the random element, and deficiencies, death becomes, insofar as
it is the end of life, the term, the limit, or the end of power, too.
Death is outside the power relationship.  Death is beyond the reach of
power, and power has a grip on it only in general, overall, or statistical
terms.  Power has no control over death, but it can control mortality.
And to that extent, it is only natural that death should now be
privatized, and should become the most private thing of all.  In the right
of sovereignty, death was the moment of the most obvious and most
spectacular manifestation of the absolute power of the sovereign; death
now becomes, in contrast, the moment when the individual escapes all
power, falls back on himself and retreats, so as to speak, into his own
privacy.  Power no longer recognizes death.  Power literally ignores
death."[xxviii]

Deaths of American soldiers in Iraq remind us of how we were not permitted
to see the flag-draped caskets of the dead; permission was not granted,
and what was imposed by the State in this instance, was nothing short of
our complicit ignorance of Death.  We see how the media does not let us
see the dead; there is no time for mourning, because that would lie
outside of power's purview.  If the dead are to be furnished, then a
stand-in must be provided in lieu of the true remains, as in the recent
case of Pyongyang.  North Korea returned the remains to Japan of the
female abductee from 1977--only the remains were later proven by Japanese
officials to be a simulation, in that they were composed of DNA from other
sources and multiple bodies.  There is a call for sanctions in light of
the circumstances.[xxix]

Death has been excluded by power, so there can only be triumph,
paradoxically an illusion, like power itself--at the cost of Death that is
real.  However, when Death is fully exterminated--this is the moment we
all become truly expendable, the future illusion of becoming-Code.  When
Death can no longer be lived with--exchanged--such an event lays the
groundwork for an event that will make the Holocaust appear banal:
Coulter reminds us of the difference of power in theory:

"(Baudrillard's) point of departure with Foucault, is that power, like the
simulated spatial perspective of Renaissance painting, is never really
there.  Power becomes a trap for Foucault similar to the way that many
sociologists are trapped in their mistaking the ideology of consumption
for consumption itself, or western Marxists are trapped within western
Enlightenment rationality.  Baudrillard describes power for Foucault as
"something that functions=85distributional=85it operates through relays
and transmissions." Reversing Foucault, Baudrillard understands power as
"something that is exchanged" and in this process the cycle of
reversibility, seduction, and challenge are at play."[xxx]

In any event, current trends in the privatization of the Code appear to be
mere extensions of the long-standing termination of the exchange of Death
and that event's incidental demise. Without the ultimate reference of
Death, we set the stage for the immortal Code we already long to be.

There is no need to reject the promises of biotechnology with regard to
the human Code and its technological products.  What needs to be rejected
is the sequestering of the Code via patents and corporate hegemony as part
of genetic industry, because it violates the sovereignty of the human
species.  There is a nostalgia for supremacy in control of the Code.  In
line with historical trends, the illusory power of the Code, (like
military power, economic power, technological power, etc.), is being
concentrated in the hands of the few.  The effects of this concentration
will however, be quite real.  History has shown us how problematic this
concentration of power can be, regardless of its historiographic location.

Coors reminds us that Foucault, in his later work, approached ethics from
the perspective of caring for the self as an ontological and necessarily a
priori mode of being, wherein "care of the self as a practice of freedom
enables the control and restraint of the abuse of power."[xxxi] It is this
care of the self, including its constituent biological organs and genetic
parts, that constitutes the basis for a deliberative outlook and shared
control over those spheres of discourse that affect us all--and it should
not be a discourse wherein only certain entities have operational agency
and an audible voice that translates into public policy.  Unlike
pharmaceuticals derived from plants or other biological matter, the agents
derived from the Code are derived from our constituent selves, and because
of this should remain within the purview of our collective selves, or
socially public spheres.  We are well advised, not to allow the dominant
discourse of a flawed market-driven healthcare system to actively fashion,
in due course, a coercive, a top-down genetic monologue that passes for a
dialogue which in its postmodern effect "operates in society to control
the subject through the subject's own means"[xxxii]; by selves acquiescing
to this dominant discourse.

What is argued for here is a reappropriation of the Code, whose
sovereignty is under the purview of the whole of mankind at the outset of
life, from market forces that deem the sovereignty of the Code
exchangeable under the logic of bid and ask dynamics, marketing and
promotion strategies, and the metaphysics of Capital.  Buchanan et al.
"believe that the needed counterweight to the market is the state, acting
both to regulate and, through taxation, to provide services=85and indicate
a significant role for the state in genetic policy=85and that a just
society will need this kind of government intervention."[xxxiii] This is
recommended with no small caveat, and that is that the state be comprised
of a self-cultivating coalescence of human singularities, acting
consensually in the most egalitarian way achievable, and that is to say,
all should be equally represented, in contrast to the reality of today,
where the most economically affluent twenty percent of the population are
disproportionately represented in government while the remaining eighty
percent majority demographic receives a minority representation in the
state discourse, despite the rhetoric constantly circulating about the
work being done in the name of 'the people'.  The Code should be managed
by and for the community, because it belongs to each and every one of us,
personally and collectively.  We must reclaim the sovereignty of the Code.

Notes

[i] Giorgio Agamben, Homo Sacer, Stanford; Stanford UP (1998), p8

[ii] Lisa Sowle Cahill, "Genetics, Commodification, and Social Justice in
the Globalization Era", Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal, 11.3 (2001),
p221-238, (p222)

[iii] Michel Foucault, Society Must Be Defended, New York; Picador (2003),
p246

[iv] See Michael Hardt and Toni Negri, Multitude, New York; Penguin Press
(2004)

[v] Michel Foucault, Society Must Be Defended, New York; Picador (2003),
p243

[vi] Giorgio Agamben, Homo Sacer, Stanford; Stanford UP (1998), p6

[vii] M. Cathleen Kaveny, "Commodifying the Good of Healthcare", The
Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, 1999, Vol. 24, No. 3, p207-223,
(p216-217)

[viii] Ibid, p218

[ix] Ibid

[x] Giorgio Agamben, Homo Sacer, Stanford; Stanford UP (1998), p120

[xi] Michel Foucault, Society Must Be Defended, New York; Picador (2003),
p246

[xii] Paul Farmer, Pathologies of Power, Los Angeles; University of
California Press (2003), p162

[xiii] Keekok Lee, Philosophy and Revolutions in Genetics, New York;
Palgrave (2003), p201-202

[xiv] N. Katherine Hayles, How We Became Posthuman, Chicago; University of
Chicago Press (1999), p4

[xv] Tom L. Beauchamp, and James F.Childress, Principles of Biomedical
Ethics, New York; Oxford University Press (2001), p55 (endnote 40)

[xvi] Ibid, p43-44

[xvii] Ibid

[xviii] Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics,
online--http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/nicomachaen.5.v.html, Book V
(parts 1, 6)

[xix] , Tom L. Beauchamp and James F.Childress, Principles of Biomedical
Ethics, New York; Oxford University Press (2001), p4

[xx] Ibid, p227

[xxi] Sigmund Freud, "Civilization and its Discontents" in Peter Gay (ed),
The Freud Reader, New York; Norton (1989), p750

[xxii] Mark Hanson, "Biotechnology and Commodification Within Healthcare",
The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, 1999, Vol. 24, no 3, p267-287
(p286--note 4)

[xxiii] Ibid, p274

[xxiv] See Jurgen Habermas, The Theory of Communicative Action, New York;
Beacon Press (1995)

[xxv] Ethan J. Leib, Deliberative Democracy in America, University Park;
Pennsylvania State University Press (2004)

[xxvi] Michel Foucault, Abnormal, New York; Picador (2004), p50

[xxvii] Jean Baudrillard, L'echange symbolique et la mort, Paris ;
Gallimard (1976), p10

[xxviii] Michel Foucault, Society Must Be Defended, New York; Picador
(2003), p248

[xxix] David Pilling, "Call for Tokyo sanctions over 'false' remains,= "
Financial Times, December 9, 2004, p6

[xxx] Gerry Coulter, "Reversibility: Baudrillard's 'One Great Thought',"
International Journal of Baudrillard Studies, Volume 1, Number 2, July
2004, p8,
<http://www.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/>http://www.ubishops.ca/baudrilla=
rdstudies/

[xxxi] Marilyn E. Coors,, "A Foucauldian Foray Into The New Genetics"
Journal of Medical Humanities, Vol. 24, nos. 3 and 4, Winter 2003, p287

[xxxii] Ibid, p284

[xxxiii] Allen Buchanan et al., From Chance to Choice, New York; Cambridge
UP (2000), p339

Nicholas Ruiz III
GTA/Doctoral candidate
Interdisciplinary Program in the Humanities
Florida State University
205P Dodd Hall, CPO (#1560), Tallahassee, FL 32306
Email: nr03@fsu.edu
Editor, Kritikos
<http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/%7Enr03>http<http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/%7Enr03>=
://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~nr03