Patrice Riemens on Mon, 18 Apr 2005 06:56:02 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Arun Mehta: Unpacking Internet Governance - reply to Morlock Elloy

To nettime on request

----- Forwarded message from Arun Mehta <arunlists@softhome.net> -----

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:02:58 +0530
From: Arun Mehta <arunlists@softhome.net>
Subject: Re: [morlockelloi@yahoo.com: Re: <nettime> Arun Mehta:
Unpacking Internet Governance]

Along with calling people names, Morlock, some sensible arguments would
be nice to have. Suggesting that google might divert Indian queries to
Pakistan must surely rank as the wierdest argument I have heard in a
while. If Google starts to misbehave, there will still be yahoo and msn.
Other companies would love for Google to make such a blunder and lose
its reputation and leading position. If all of them turn ugly, we should
fairly easily be able to make our own search engine, in a collaborative
fashion using P2P networks, for example. OK, latency would go up, but so
what.

Ever wondered why the level of interest in the whole ICANN debate is so
low among the general Internet population, even among those who aren't
naive (or is that how you define naivity vis-a-vis the Internet: anyone
who thinks this is not a big deal is by definition naive) I do see the
whole copyright entanglement of domain names, but have little sympathy
with the McDonalds of this world, for whom they are such a big deal. I
see domain names as a serious copyright issue, not so much an Internet
governance one. For the Internet, domain names used to be very useful,
when search engines were poor. These days, I rarely bother to type
domain names into my browser, rather go straight to google, and click on
"I'm feeling lucky".

Oh, and while you are at it, please tell me why the rest of the article
is naive too. If you have any past publications that might help me
understand your point of view, I would gladly read them.
Arun

>----- Forwarded message from Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com> -----
>
>Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: <nettime> Arun Mehta: Unpacking Internet Governance
>To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
>

>This is perhaps the most naive part of the otherwise very naive article:

(...)