Heiko Recktenwald on Fri, 11 Mar 2005 05:37:10 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Re: [MARCEL-members] Re: Internet2:

Hi,

broadcast flag, FCC, refridgerators and "the community":

At 02:23 10.03.2005, Philip Galanter wrote:

>So I hope it won't be too disappointing if I don't respond to your
>second post in a point by point manner.  It seems to me that most of
>the concern there is really more about the MPAA and the broadcast
>flag than Internet2.
>
>Internet2 is indeed talking to the MPAA, but they are talking to
>literally hundreds of organizations and interest groups.  Some of
>those groups hold opposing views and differing visions of the future.
>It is in everyone's interest that Internet2 provide a forum for as
>broad a discussion of advanced networks as possible.

I remember a quote from a federal judge saying that the FCC has no power
to regulate the internet insofar, like they have no power to regulate
refridgerators. Are there any news in this case, has it allready been
decided?

Is there any real danger now, that we could get instead or whatever some
sort of "de facto"  regulation (the flag or equivalents in
architecture) by "the community"?

As long as we have universal computers..., but the network may be
something different?

Those, who pay for the thing may be free to design it however they want?

Is it just a money making machine or is it some space for everybody and
everybody is equal?

Well, there will be new territories anyway,

H.