Curt Cloninger on Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:28:09 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: Bill Thompson: Dump the World Wide Web

Hi Geert,

Here's an even earlier proclamation of the web's death.  This
self-aggrandizing piece famously stirred the web design pot back in
1997:
http://xml.coverpages.org/siegelRuined.html

Written by David Siegel, "father" of presentational (vs. semantic)
web design -- early advocate of table-based layouts, inventor of the
single pixel transparent gif hack, author of  *Creating Killer Web
Sites* -- basically admitting that CSS promises to solve all the HTML
limitations he originally had to fudge around.  Now he's out of the
game entirely:  http://dsiegel.blogs.com/about.html

Also applicable to the "Decade of Web Design" dialogue is this