lmare on Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:11:30 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Nobel prize-winning author Jellinek on Public Netbase

[Targeted by a rightwing coalition Public Netbase has been in recurring
difficulties for some years. The recent suspension of services of the
Vinnese Netculture organisation has produced a flood of protests. LM]

Austrian novelist and poet Elfriede Jelinek comments in an open letter on
the current crisis:

"Enough is known these days about how silent shifts to the right occur.
The cases of French towns taken by the political right in regional elections
offered early examples of how this is done. It always begins in culture and
communication. Cinemas with a critical programming are closed down, gay
bookshops, all places whose work is critical of society are subtly muffled,
driven out of business, censored, displaced.

Unfortunately, I am now seeing this mechanism in operation in no other city than
Vienna, a place where I would not have thought this possible.
The so-called de-politization is far from being as innocuous as it sounds. On
the contrary, it indicates a politization from a political right that now seems
to be "sounding the charg" in Vienna. Heads are being kept down in
anticipation. Drying out Public Netbase is another step in support of a
populist and aggressive right, and we should not allow it to be taken."