Randall Packer on Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:40:12 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Do You Still Own Your Reality?

The Republicans are heightening the attack, ramping up their spin
strategies to reinforce disinformation in order to fool the country into
re-election.

Straight out of the playbook from Orwell's 1984...

They continue to retool their highly refined doublespeak tactics to
maintain a stranglehold on the reality of unsuspecting Americans.

Have the Republicans co-opted your reality?

According to columnist Tina Brown in the Washington Post discussing the VP
debate:

"Cheney found a more primitive way to bluff with a bad hand... In a
culture of blatherers, Cheney intimidates with his silences, his stingers,
and above all his awesome capacity to stare down the evidence and assert
that black is white."

Despite the fact that this week, the administration's own Paul Bremer, Don
Rumsfeld, and the weapons investigator Charles Duelfer have all declared
the reason's for going to war were deeply flawed, as well as the so called
follow-up plan, Bush and Cheney not only stand their ground, they tighten
their tenuous grip on a fictional narrative designed to disguise their
true ambition to control the oil-rich middle east.

The real issue in this election though, is America going to wake up to the
dream (or nightmare) it finds itself in? Can we lift the veil on the
disinformation pouring out of the White House. Can we take command of our
own reality?

Or has America's reality been permanently hijacked by the Republicans and
their media propaganda machine?