nettime's white collar sweatshop on Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:55:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops [4x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops
     Carl Guderian <blacque_jacques@yahoo.com>

   Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops
     Joy <joy@sarai.net>

   Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops
     "porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>

   Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops
     Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 04:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Carl Guderian <blacque_jacques@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops

- --- Jeebesh Bagchi <jeebesh@sarai.net> wrote:

> US and Europe are based on massive exploitation and
> extraction of surplus
> from its working population. Its population is made
> to work hard and very
> very intensely. This population have very little say
> in how this surplus
> is deployed. (`Rivethead` just give a tip of the
> iceberg.)

Close enough, with the US leading the pack in that
respect, the UK not far behind and continental Europe
in the peloton but catching up thanks to center-right,
corporate-friendly politicians, all singing the same
hymn of "flexibility" as the way to the heaven of a
US-style economic long boom (yes, racing, choir dogs).
Industry demands being inflexible, it means longer
working hours for less pay (there's a UK initiative to
count bank holidays as part of the four weeks' paid
holiday), and easier and cheaper ways to fire workers.
The goad is the threat that companies will decamp to
Eastern Europe (en route to China) sooner rather than
later.

>  Come on. Now we can have to coin a new term a
> post-exploitative society!
> The deafening silence on intensity and exploitation
> of labour allows on
> one hand the packaging of the social ideal and
> exported to all of the
> world. One the other hand buffers great moral outcry
> on aesthetics of
> productions in `bad capitalism` spaces from any
> serious reflection on
> categories.

Exactly, but the promise of a US-style economic
heaven, even shown in soft-focus as "good capitalism"
is a shuck anyway. It doesn't have to stand up to
close scrutiny as long as it's too far away to show
much details. When the dogs catch up with the
mechanical rabbit near the US finish line, the
backdrop is whipped away and the new finish line is
much farther away, in China. By then it's harder to
stop and turn back than it is now, and nobody will
have time off from work to closely examine anything.

The bosses will be the Sons of Heaven in a global
Middle Kingdom.

Fear, and tremblingly obey!

Carl

whose hair is almost long enough to make a decent
queue