Michael H Goldhaber on Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:46:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: Images and Official Language: The Gap or How not to Know

The Iraq war, I have thought all along, was begun by Bush as a matter of
spin, chiefly to look good (ie.e. successful and tough) and "manly." Iraq is
far away, and still confused in the American mind not only with bin Laden but
with Iran.

Recall that the last real photo op was supposed to be Bush prancing in his
flight suit. When that wasn't enough, we got Bush in Iraq with a cardboard
turkey (not the best possible metaphor) and then a bedraggled,
confused-looking Saddam, hardly the scowling villain Rove would have ordered.

The Abu Ghraib images were unwelcome because unplanned, with low production
values, etc. Had they been spun right, surely they would have been touted as
showing the pluck and ingenuity of American GIs up against dastardly terror
suspects. But it turns out the best spinners in the world can't spin an
entire war and occupation of real people with real feelings and desires. They
did come scarily close, however.

Michael H. Goldhaber

mgoldh@well.com
http://www.well.com/user/mgoldh/